The Prophecy Unfolds

"I was right about one thing," the Saintess said as she turned to face Joana, "You really seem to attract sacrifices like a moth to a flame. It truly is such a waste to end your life however, too much is unknown about your mysterious power from earlier."

As the Saintess rattled on, Joana, who'd wasted no time in closing the gap between her and Josh, whispered, "Piercing Light!"

Air shimmering as she uttered the forbidden language, a condensed spear of light beamed directly at the Saintess' chest forcing an abrupt conclusion to her chatter as she dodged the pristine projectile. Slipping inside the barrier, with a floating yet still unconscious Herman in tow, Joana hastily surveyed Cassandra's serene, sleeping body for any injuries before shifting her attention to the aggrieved Josh. 

"Why can't you just stay out of trouble!" she said, tone filled with concern as she reprimanded him, "I left you alone for a few days and you're already flirting with death."

"What can I say," he replied weakly, eyelids drooping as he spoke, "I learned from the best."

"Save your strength," she muttered as Josh attempted to rise, anxiety clawing at her throat as she searched his body in vain for any apparent wounds, "I don't see anything. What did she do to you?"

"You should have seen me," Josh replied, lips twitching as he failed to produce his intended smile, "I kept dodging and parrying her energy bolts, until she started playing dirty and went after Cassandra. I tried to make it in time, but she got me whilst I was caught up defending Cass's body."

'Cass?' Joana thought quickly, somewhat annoyed by the abbreviation.

"The residual energy must be lingering inside you," Joana continued after hearing the brief account, "It's already incredible that you managed to survive a direct blast of energy however, it's impossible to hold out this long with that level of power rampaging inside of you, that is, unless you're not as normal as I originally thought."

Holding up his left hand, Josh tried to mutter an explanation to Joana however, the words were unable to claw its way past his now clamped lips. Exhaling irregularly, his extended hand slowly fell onto his lap as a pained expression suddenly broke out onto his face. Eyelids falling even further until stopping just short of being slit, Josh sat listlessly, barely able to remain focused on Joana's form. 

Realizing he was no longer able to speak, Joana pressed a hand to his chest, iridescent aura from before blossoming wildly around her. 

"I hope this works," Joana muttered before whispering, "Heal!"

As she spoke, a strong energy emanated from her body filling the insides of the barrier with a warm multicoloured glow. With the strange yet comforting aura spreading beyond the walls of the barrier, Josh's breathing stabilized and he visibly began to relax. Colour returning to his previously paled face, Josh's eyes opened a tad bit wider as feeling returned to his body. Before he could speak, a blinding white bolt of energy rebounded off of the barrier, screeching loudly as it sparked across it's shimmering surface. 

"How dare you defy the goddess' judgement," the Saintess screamed, already preparing another attack. 

"A bit overzealous are we?" Joana muttered, pouring more of her aura into strengthening the protective wall, "What's with your friend over there?"

"Where do I even begin?" Josh replied hoarsely, propping himself up into a more upright position. 

"Just tell me the basics," Joana answered, voice a bit strained as the barrier withstood another hit. 

"She calls herself the Saintess," Josh relayed in between subtle bouts of harrumphing, "and she thinks Cassandra is some sort of demoness hell bent on destroying her goddess."