Waiting Room

Joana stood pensively staring at the bedridden Josh. Earlier when he'd collapsed suddenly, she rushed over hoping to provide aid yet no visible wounds could be found. Realizing there was nothing she could do, Joana quickly returned to the Resistance, with him in tow. Unfortunately, on arrival, Josh had already lapsed into a coma. Every day since then, she had visited him hoping each day would be the one he awakened. The healers did their best but in the end they concluded that it was best to wait for him to wake on his own. What that meant for the amnesia was also uncertain, perhaps his memory would return or worse he could forget everything they've been through up until now. A part of Joana wished he forgot everything.  

'How nice it'd be to forget everything and live free of all these regrets,' she thought.

"You know, injured people are required to rest and recuperate," a voice said behind her. 

Turning her head slightly, she just made out the thickset form of her colleague. She didn't hear him approach, though it wasn't surprising. Despite his build, he was hailed as one of the best assassins of the current era, perhaps even better than Rica and Sara. Joana winced as she thought of her companions. There was no telling what horrors they were undergoing at this very moment, that is, if they were even alive. 

"Crazy how these things work don't you think?" he continued, "Thought Elly's research was a bunch of nonsense until this came along. From the inside it looks like a perfectly normal room but out here we can see what's going on inside from any angle. It even blocks out any sensory abilities on the inside!"

Receiving no response, he inched closer tone growing serious, "how long do you intend on staying here? There's a lot going on out there and we could really use your help."

"What do you want Hank?" she asked, still fixated on Josh. 

"Nothing really, just heard you've been visiting this kid for the past two weeks so I got a bit curious," he replied studying Joana, "don't tell me you've fallen for the kid."

"It's nothing like that," she said flatly, expression unchanging, "there's just something...odd about him. I can't quite put my finger on it but my instincts are never wrong."

"Fair enough," Hank sighed, "I heard he has amnesia, any truth to that? He could be a spy sent by The Order."

"Seems someone's been keeping you well informed," she said facing him, "He's not a spy. I purposefully left him on his own back at the safe house to see what he'd do. The Order was very surprised to see him there."

"You should know better than anyone how they do things," he spat, "they wouldn't let the grunts in on their hidden agendas."

"You're not wrong," Joana admitted, "that said, I genuinely think he's not a spy."

"Oh?" he blurted, "is it cause he reminds you of your little brother?"

Joana instantly fired a punch at Hank who casually dodged. Missing the first strike, she launched a second then crouched, legs extending into a sweeping kick. She managed to knock him off balance, tackling him to the floor. Before he could rise she climbed atop him, one hand gripping his neck tightly, another raised exuding a burnt orange flame. 

"Easy there," he grinned as he held a knife to her side, "wouldn't want any accidents now would we?"

Even though she felt the cold blade pricking into her stomach, Joana held her stance firmly.

"Alright, you win " he apologized, removing the knife, "it would seem I've said something I shouldn't."

Relaxing, she released him, "If you came here just to piss me off, you've succeeded."

"Not my original goal," he replied massaging his neck as he rose, "though I must say, your reactions always get me excited."

"Why are you really here?" she asked sternly.

"The boss wants to see you, said it's urgent," he relayed. 

"Did he say what it was about?" Joana questioned.

"No but he was adamant that you meet him as soon as possible," Hank said, watching Josh, "Oh? Seems like our guest is awake."

Joana quickly turned to see him sitting up, "tell the leader i'll be there in a little bit."

"He won't like that," he cautioned, "is your friend there really worth upsetting-,"

She held up a hand, silencing him, "it's not like i'm deliberately avoiding him, just say something important came up."

"Whatever you say," he sighed, "I'll be sure to let the boss know though I hope he's worth the trouble."

"I hope so as well," Joana muttered as Hank disappeared into thin air. 

Forcing a smile, she entered the room.