Confrontation

"There they go getting all the credit again," the broad shouldered man complained as the other team gave chase.

Just before their target exited, they were ordered to stay behind and secure the facility.

"Left us here on guard duty and for what, an empty building?" he continued.

As he carried on, his companion on the other hand continued to scan the cabin. Unlike his muscle-headed counterpart, he'd found it odd that she decided to flee rather than defend in a situation such as this.

'Something's not right,' he thought.

Searching for abnormalities, a scream pierced through the darkness, startling both men. Before they could collect their wits, a blinding light shone through the trees, followed by a thunderous explosion. Instinctively, both men drew their blades, plunging it deep into the earth crouching low as they did so. Mere seconds after doing so, a strong wave of energy washed over them. It ended as quickly as it arrived leaving bent trees and shrubs in its path. Jumping to his feet, he once more scanned the cabin which was seemingly unaffected by the blast.

"What was that?" the large man asked, staggering.

Ignoring his companion, he continuously peered at the building uncertainly, 'Am I being oversensitive?'

Straining his eyes, he gazed unwaveringly at the cabin. Suddenly, a door which hadn't previously existed appeared. It opened slightly as a shadowy figure exited, dashing swiftly in the opposite direction of their target.

"Hill!" the man whispered loudly at the large man, finger pointing at the fleeing figure.

"What is it now Lenny," Hill replied staring in the direction his finger was pointed.

He managed to spot the unknown fugitive as they vanished out of sight, "but the intel!"

"It's like you said," Lenny cut in, already in pursuit, "those B teamers don't know anything."

* * *

The moment he entered the forest, Josh understood what Joana's earlier words meant. He'd barely ran for a few minutes before stumbling on the thick undergrowth. Though troublesome he would've been fine if not for the intense humid environment. This added inconvenience made the traversal even more taxing. Travelling considerably slower than earlier, Josh heard what appeared to be a heavy downpour Whether it be a stream, river, or waterfall, the idea of water appealed greatly to him. Redoubling his efforts, he ploughed through the shrubs and bushes with renewed spirit. He continued at this pace until he could hear the sounds all around him, however, there was no water to be seen.

'Just where could it be,' he thought, looking all around.

"Come on," he urged, staring at his ring, "now would be a great time to help me out."

Despite his plea, nothing happened, no humming or vibrations were evident. Tired and frustrated, he bent over to catch his breath, one hand on his knee, the other, on a nearby tree for support. To his surprise, the tree disappeared the moment his hand connected causing him to lose balance. Josh fell over, rolling twice before laying flat on his back. The sudden shock of the fall was immediately irrelevant as the air instantly became several degrees cooler. The surrounding foliage was drenched, indicating very recent rainfall. After a brief glance, he located the source of the water. A few feet ahead of him was a small river snaking through an open field, bordering the woods.

'Great no more difficult terrain,' he thought rushing toward the river's edge.

Not caring for it's cleanliness, he drank his fill before surveying his area once more. Looking to the woods, he noticed a thin mist-like wall extending as far as the eye could see.