An Undetermined Fate

Josh sat anxiously in a snugly fitting, chair staring silently as Patricia paced impatiently in the newly lit corridor. Having been reunited with the girl not long after their escape from the Library, their joyful reunion had been abruptly halted as the once casually, bustling streets had become unusually chaotic. Elle, who'd volunteered to take them both to the Resistance's headquarters in order to discern how the sudden panicked situation had begun. On arrival, through various babbles and whispers of various passers-by, the trio had soon learned of Joana's predicament. Although too much was unclear due to the little information they gleaned from the barely coherent conversations, it was more than enough to send Patricia, who relied solely on Joana's existence for companionship, into a frenzied panic. 

"Patricia," Josh said, voice trailing off as he spoke. 

Patricia, who strolled up and down the passageway absentmindedly, looked up at Josh, teary-eyed before responding, "yeah, what is it?"

"Joana," he replied, swallowing as he continued, "She'll be alright. Out of everyone here, she's the one I'm least worried about!"

"I know that better than anyone here," Patricia said, tears streaming down her face, "However, this is the first time since I've known her that she's been captured. Don't get  me wrong, Joana has been in a couple tight situations before, but this is the first time she's ever been detained." 

"I'm sure we'll figure out something," Josh replied in an attempt to console the distraught girl. 

"You don't get it, do you?" Patricia continued, wiping her face with the palm of her hands, "She's the strongest Shifter we have! If she's been captured, there's not much hope for a rescue."

Unsure of how to respond, the door both were waiting on to be opened, suddenly did, saving Josh from his lack of a response. Stepping out from behind the familiar wooden door, Elle, accompanied by an expressionless Shaw, silently motioned for them both to enter. Obeying the clear instructions, the two were shepherded into the room, growing even tenser as Shaw shut the door behind them. Inside the room, seated on one of the many chairs arranged neatly around the table was a disheveled Cassandra, sipping heavily from a tall glass of water. 

"Cass!" Josh exclaimed as he walked through, surprised to see that she was still safe and sound.

"Josh!" Cassandra replied, matching his tone, "I-I'm sorry, by the time I realized what was happening she told me to leave."

"Slow down," Elle advised, eyeing Shaw, who retained his silence, "Start from the beginning!"

Pausing as Elle finished, Cassandra waited for both Josh and Patricia to find a seat, taking a deep breath before relaying the entire happenings to all those present. Elle and Shaw, who'd already bore witness to Cassandra's tale, stood off to one side, grim expressions lining their faces. 

"After hearing nothing from her," Cassandra continued, "I was about to climb up myself. That's when I heard the warning and I immediately made my escape."

"Couldn't you have at least gotten her to safety," Shaw said, breaking his silence, "The soldiers were elites but they're nothing compared to the losses we're about to face if she's out of commission."

"Like I said earlier," Cassandra replied referring to their earlier interactions, "Joana shouted one last piece of intel before I moved out of earshot."

"What did she say," Josh questioned as both he and Patricia leaned forward in their own seats.

"She told me that Patricia was not to be excluded in our rescue team," Cassandra relayed. 

"Was that all she said?" Josh asked as Patricia slunk back in her chair on hearing Cassandra's words. 

"No," Cassandra resumed, confusion painting itself across her face, "She mentioned something about an NA Zone?"