Elena

Josh sat upright, lower half of his body tucked comfortably under a thick blanket. He'd expected the answers he was promised however, Elly hadn't uttered a word since Joana left. Instead she'd resigned herself to stare at him from atop a broken three legged stool shifting from leg to leg. Although her balancing act came off as childish at first, her precise control was anything but. Elly smiled brightly, opening her mouth as if she were about to say something yet stopped. Suddenly, she disappeared completely from sight. Without warning, she materialized laying at his side, meeting his gaze intently. As he stared, mouth agape in shock, the unbalanced stool fell to the floor with a crash, snapping him out of his stupor. 

"You, what are you-" 

"How about we play a little game?" Elly interrupted. 

"A-A game?" he asked.

"Oh it's nothing bad," she assured, "I'll ask you a question and you'll answer, then you'll ask me and I'll do the same!"

"Is there a catch?" he asked uncertainly.

"Isn't it obvious?" she smiled, "If we don't play, you won't get any answers. Now, shall I start?"

"Wh-Why do you get to go first?" he stuttered. 

"Ughhh, how dense are you," she rolled her eyes, "I'm a lady and ladies always go first."

"Lady..."he repeated as she curled up next to him, green eyes shining expectantly, "okay, what's the first question?"

"Excellent!" she said excitedly, "What's your name?"

"It's Josh" he said confusedly, "Don't you already know my name?"

"Yes I do," she laughed, "next question, how'd you meet Joana?"

"Wait," he said raising a hand, "I haven't asked my question-."

"Of course you did silly," she said interrupting him once more, "You asked if I already knew your name."

"That's not fair," he complained, "it feels like this game is rigged in your favor!"

"Only those that are weak complain about the fairness of life, "she replied with a broken smile. 

"You!" he snapped, flicking Elly on her forehead reflexively. 

The moment he did, a vague memory struggled to push it's way to the surface. 

'This...I feel like I've done this so many times before, so why can't I remember!?' he thought, burying his head in his hands in frustration as the memory slipped away. 

His current ordeal made him unaware of Elena, whose dark green aura engulfed her body. 

"Perhaps," a mature feminine voice said," I've been too kind in my approach."

Josh looked up as the unknown voice spoke. He scrambled out of bed as the area where Elena lay was replaced with an older woman. Draping her long legs over the side of the bed, she advanced toward him slowly. Josh scurried backward before hitting a wall, quickly scanning the room as he went. 

"What did you do to Elly?" he accused the approaching figure.

The woman stopped short, throwing her head back in a fit of laughter. Unaware of what she found amusing, he waited in silence as the unknown woman calmed down.

"Elly, is what the brat calls herself whenever she comes out to play," she said casually, "I, I am Elena."

At first, Josh didn't believe her words. How could a girl a couple years younger than him suddenly become the older woman that stood elegantly before him. However, it was the only thing that made sense. Her features replicated Elly's perfectly yet her style was clearly that of a mature woman. Rather than pigtails, her long, dark brown hair flowed freely over her shoulder. Her green eyes were now brighter than before almost as if they were shining. As he studied her features, Elena retreated to the edge of the bed where she sat cross-legged, patting the empty area beside her as if motioning for him to sit there. Josh got to his feet and sat next to the elder version of Elena.