Ambush

"You think she'll show?" asked a broad shouldered man, clad in leather armour.

"Hard to say," his companion replied, fiddling with a pair of smooth stones the size of a fist, "intel suggests she will."

"What intel?" he spat, "those guys from the official team just showed up and started barking orders. I swear they think they're so great just cause they were lucky enough to get in that squad."

Before he could continue his rant, a loose bracelet glowed dimly around his wrist, "I can hear your illiterate remarks all the way from my end. If you have time for chatting, that surely means you've done your part?"

"Just about finished carving and placing the runestones," his companion cut in.

"Glad to see at least one of you is competent! We only get one shot at this so stay alert."

"Not much to see," the large man snorted, his voice considerably softer.

"Listen whilst I'm still being civil-," he stopped abruptly, "do you feel that?"

The large man looked to his companion who shook his head.

"Spatial distortion," the voice said, "she's here. Activate the stones, you two stay at your post, the others and I will start on our end."

Following instructions, they each took a stone and drove it deep into the earth as they'd done countless times before. Knowing the fast approaching outcome, both backed away quickly as the two stones, exploded, leaving only a thin misty veil expanding rapidly yet silently around the derelict cabin.

* * *

Joana stepped through first, cautiously inspecting the small room.

Satisfied, she pulled Josh through the portal causing it to waver, "we're here."

"Is this where you sent those artefacts?" he asked hand still in hers.

"It's just through there, "she said motioning to a partly unhinged door, "so, are you going to let go?"

"Ah, sorry," he replied sheepishly.

As he complied, the portal shattered, startling them both.

Simultaneously, Joana stumbled, "looks like it took a bigger toll than I thought?"

Rushing over, Josh reached out, steadying her, "You should've gotten more rest."

"No sense in arguing over it now," she retorted, "let's get what we came for then we can get you some answers."

They walked over to the door, which appeared to be slightly jammed. With a slight nudge from his shoulder, it gave way into a short corridor. Stepping through, he was immediately taken aback by the carnage. The scarred walls and overturned photos decorating the passage was a clear signed of a fierce battle. The scene was dramatized even further by the buzzing of unseen insects increasing the sense of eeriness.

"What is this place?" he asked as they continued forward.

Receiving no response, he crouched, picking up one of the broken photos.

He could barely glimpse two figures in the picture before Joana snatched it away, "THIS, is none of your business," she said pocketing the photo, "we need to hurry."

Deciding not to pry, they trudged onward until reaching a winding staircase. After descending they broke into an open room. At it's center was five pillars of evenly spaced light. Of the five, four contained items floating steadily in place. The first held a ripped parchment, whilst the second contained a small pouch. The third held nothing and the final two held the fractured mirror and the ancient book.