thirty - the first line

DOUBLE UPDATE. THIRTY ONE WILL BE OUT IN NO MORE THAN FOUR HOURS

-ky

_____________________________

"You aren't turning your fist like I said," Nine huffed.

Bird groaned aloud, parting her feet once again, planting them firmly on the black mat and raising her fists again.

He held up the black foam pad across his forearm, standing taller in front of her as he watched the determination she had when they arrived begin to drip from her face, frustration replacing it.

She punched it again, weakly twisting her fist as he showed her. But it still wasn't perfect.

He rolled his eyes at her poor attempt.

"I am trying," She hissed at his expression.

Nine shook his head to himself, wishing that she'd just figure this shit out so he could get out of here and maybe hit up a bar or two.

"Try harder."

Bird sent him a glare, taking a step back and repeating her stance from before, being sure that she wouldn't be easily knocked off of her feet if someone had the opportunity.

Again, she used one hand in a tight fist to shield away from her chest, the other balling up with her thumb cupped to the side instead of the front of her knuckles. She almost broke it last time they trained, and Nine had no choice but to grab her hand and show her the correct way to make a fist.

It was Monday, and they only had two days to prepare for this next mission involving Nicholas Miller.

When Damian told Bird that she'd be a part of the actual plan and not just sitting inside the getaway vehicle with Zayn and Niall, Nine watched the color drain from her face.

So, after they left, he told her that she had no choice but to train for longer hours the next few days.

Firstly, because she wasn't prepared to go face to face with a target by any means, even if she knew them personally. And lastly, Nine didn't want the responsibility of having to deal with her hurt if she couldn't defend herself in case things went awry like last time.

And he definitely did not want to have to carry her to safety.

He was going to have to be hard on her.

They've already been here for two hours completely alone, the first one and a half solely being used to practice her escape abilities with the headlock he'd had her in before.

She hadn't gotten any better, unsurprisingly.

Eventually, he gave up for the day and decided that if she couldn't totally be alone in a fight, she'd at least have to be able to knock the wind out of someone somehow.

Bird's fist landed harder into the black foam, her fist twisting better before the blow hit.

Nine almost nodded in approval but bit his tongue and simply met her eye.

"Better?" She arrogantly asked, a devious smile on her lips.

And just to piss her off, he said, "Again."

That smile turned into a small frown, the satisfaction wiping from her soft features. His chest felt warm at that, like he was happy to be able to flip her emotions so quickly.

Once again, she took her stance, staring at the foam like it was the thing she hated most on this Earth.

Well, other than him.