ten - the gunshot ordeal

Kite was in the hospital.

Nine knew the moment that he and Niall arrived that he could do nothing for the poor fucker.

They'd shown up within fifteen minutes of him receiving the call from Zayn, and when they walked into the bar that Kite had been sped back to, Nine wished that he would've been told the manner of which Kite had been shot. Because he had shown up in a rush, medical kit in hand, feeling naked without his rings, just to be useless.

It wasn't like the gunshot wound was small-- no.

When Kite was shot, the bullet didn't enter his brain luckily. Instead, it powered straight through the side of his skull, directly where his eye sockets existed. The bullet rested behind one of his eyes, which Kite claimed was slowly becoming more and more blurred.

Kite was bleeding only a bit out of the side of his face but was fully conscious. He was walking, talking, and joking around.

Zayn said he just thought the bullet would be near the entrance sight, which is why he didn't think to contact any real emergency services.

But Nine could tell by the way that Kite was slowly losing control of his eye the longer they'd stood there, that he needed professional attention.

Now, all of them minus Zayn stood in a small hospital room where Kite was waiting patiently for the doctor on call to assist him.

Since the nurses saw him fully functional, it wasn't on the top of their priority list. And while Nine was frustrated with that, he also decided they needed to discuss business matters in the case that this didn't go well.

"Guess I might lose my eye," Kite chuckled somberly.

Niall sighed, "It'll be fine, mate."

But Kite shook his head, "No way man. My other eye is my bad eye. Got a stigmatism in it."

Nine crossed his arms over his chest, not liking where this was heading despite the necessity of it.

"I'm here! I'm here!" A voice sounded from outside of the room, the sight of a familiar redhead rushing into the space they occupied with a worried expression.

Her usually pale skin looked flustered, her hair a mess, and her clothes wrinkled as she clearly threw something on to get here.

"Lucy," Kite smiled, reaching his arms out to her as she hugged him tightly.

"Holy fuck," she said breathlessly. "Is it still in there?"

Her eyes found Nine and Niall's as she pulled away from her brother.

"Doc hasn't even shown yet," Niall frowned.

Nine watched her gaze observe the gauze a nurse had quickly taped over the area before she ran off to assist another patient. Lucy frowned, looking around the room before pulling out a pack of cigarettes and handing one to her brother.

Kite gleefully took the cigarette, searching his pockets for a lighter.

Nine reached in his pocket and handed him his, ignoring Kite's thankful grin as he lit the drug and handed the lighter back.

Lucy didn't take a cigarette out for herself.

"But you're fully awake. That's a good sign, right?" She asked hopefully.

Kite shrugged.

"It is, but he's losing function of the eye," Niall spoke up as Kite looked down, ashamed of them all trying to catch the eye rolling aimlessly.

Lucy frowned. "So? He's still alive. That's what matters."

Niall sent Nine a look, but they both nodded.