Chapter 16: Past Shadows, Future Light

RAJESH POV:

RAJESH POV:

I've been a cop for several years and seen lots of people coming to the station for different crimes, but maybe he is the only guy who comes here for one reason, for loving her.

His father, me, and everyone else tried telling him to forget her, but he couldn't get over her. It's like he's devoted his whole life to her.

However, since last year, he seemed to have changed because of his promise to his dad. But when Navin told me everything that happened at St. Joseph's school, I was really angry at him for dragging Navin into this mess. I blamed him for letting the thieves in by getting drunk with the security guards, which left them vulnerable when the masked men attacked.

I thought he was still a loser who'd never change.

But he proved me wrong by solving this case, which is linked to several other school thefts. Maybe it wasn't all his fault after all. And, Trisha is only alive today because of him. If it wasn't for him, she might have chosen another spot to die. And, the way he solved the mess he created surprised me.

I have to agree, he's got skills. For a moment, I wondered what if he had become a cop like me. Then the criminals were so fucking screwed.

As I was lost in thought, Ajay's voice brought me back to reality. "What is it, sir? What do you want to talk to me about?" he asked.

"There's no one around, Ajay. You can call me Rajesh bhai," I replied, locking eyes with him, and added, "I've spoken to the school management, and I've explained everything, how it was indeed you who saved the school from the thieves. So, they're not trying to file any case against you. You're all free to go, including Ranga."

Ajay looks surprised and responded, "But you could have said that in front of everyone. So, is there something else you wanted to tell me, Rajesh bhai?"

"It's about Nitya, Ajay. I know she is Mira's sister, and don't overthink it. It's not your fault that her sister left and her father and mother has died," I replied in a calm tone.

Ajay's eyes widened in shock, and he quickly lowered his head, gripping the chair tightly with his hands. In a slow, pained voice, he asked, "Then whose fault is it, Rajesh bhai? That day, if I hadn't told Mira's father that his daughter loved me and had cheated on me because of someone under the influence of alcohol, Mira wouldn't have left home with someone else, and her father, mother wouldn't have committed suicide."

"As you said, you weren't in the right mind when you spoke to her father, so stop blaming yourself for something you didn't commit personally," I reassured him, but he quickly questioned, "But can that reason erase the mistake I made? The mistake that cost a man's life?"

"No, it can't. But instead, you can do something to correct the mistake you've made."

Ajay glanced at me, his brow furrowing in confusion as he tried to make sense of my words. "What are you talking about? I don't understand," he responded.

"Navin has once told me, you know, that you need another girl in your life, and I too want that for you. How many more days do you want to dwell on your past? Perhaps it's time to love another woman, and why not that woman would be Nitya?" I suggested.

He was taken aback, rising from his chair. He responded, "What are you saying, Rajesh bhai? If she finds out who I was, she'll never forgive me. And how could loving her help me correct the mistake I made?"

"Before I answer your question, let me ask you, What do you think of Nitya's life? Do you think she's happy?" I asked Ajay as I gestured for him to sit down.

"How would I know what her life would be? I haven't even talked to her before today," Ajay explained.

"Well, let me tell you, Nitya isn't happy with her life. After her dad died, her brother Gaurav kicked her out of their house and kept it for himself. He also took 5 acres of land in their village. But nitya didn't even file a case against him."

Ajay looked puzzled, and I could see shock in his eyes as he responded, "I can't believe what you're saying. Mira has always told me that her brother was very supportive towards her, and I've even talked to him several times. And, I can say he's not the kind of guy who would do this to his own sister."

"Except nitya isn't his own sister, instead, both Mira and Gaurav see her as a stepsister, and they hate her."

Hello everyone, I've made some changes to Chapter 11 of "Chasing Her" to make the story more interesting. Please read that chapter before reading this one for better understanding. Thank you for reading, and do share your thoughts in the comments😁😁