Chapter 2: Moving on

It's 11:45 pm, August 7th, 2020

Navin POV:

After I turned off the speakers, Ajay rubbed his eyes to see me clearly, then quickly ran towards me and hugged me due to the alcohol's effect. "Navin, it's you! What are you doing here? And how did you know I was here?" he exclaimed.

Ajay continued, "Talk to me. What happened? Why are you looking at me so angrily?"

I pushed him away and responded in a loud voice, "Don't you know why I was angry? I've been searching for you for the past two hours, and your father was so worried about you. Yet, here you are, smoking cigars and lost in the dreams of her."

Ajay turned away from me, grabbed the beer again, but I threw the beer out of his hands. I continued, "Didn't you promise your father that you would quit drinking? What happened to that promise? People think you've changed, but soon they'll realize you are still the same old Ajay, whose only aim in this lifetime is to be accepted by that person."

Ajay, with frustration in his tone, responded "I'm sorry for troubling you and everyone, but you all need to understand one thing, I have changed, and I've moved on from Mira. There is no place for her in my heart anymore."

"If that's true, then why are you here?" I questioned him and added, "I heard from Ranga that you come here every year on her birthday, but if you have truly moved on, then why go through the trouble of coming all the way here? Tell me."

Ajay settled on the bench beside him and replied, "I've truly moved on from her, Navin. But you know, today is her birthday. It brought back memories of her, and whenever I think of her now, all I can remember is her leaving me. So, I came here to think of the time that Mira and I spent together for this one last time."

I burst into laughter at his words and replied, "For five years, you've been telling us that you've forgotten her, that you've moved on. But in reality, you keep going back to her. Meanwhile, that girl, what's her name? Ah, Mira, ran off with another guy, and by now, she must have forgotten you."

Seating myself on a bench opposite him, I continued, "So, my advice is to love someone again. Mira isn't the only woman in India, right? There are others, and some of them are genuinely good hearted, unlike your Mira."

Ajay, puzzled, scratched his head. "You want me to love another girl? After what happened with Mira, I don't think I can handle another heartbreak, and I don't want to walk down that road again."

I sighed, placing my hand on my forehead, and replied, "What is it you truly want? Do you want to spend the rest of your life consumed by memories of Mira? Is that what you want?"

Placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder, I continued, "There are no guarantees that another girl won't leave you, just like Mira did. However, rather than crying like a baby every week, it's better to start the next chapter of your life."

As Ajay was about to say something, the power went out, and after some time, I heard the sudden crash of nearby objects. I glanced at Ajay and gestured, "UShhhh."

I approached the door slowly, checking outside to see if anyone was present. As I looked at the other side of the ground floor, there was one person with a flashlight in hand, wearing a black monkey mask, attempting to open the principal's room. When his gaze shifted towards my direction, I quickly hid, avoiding detection.