I swallow hard, barely turning my head to face her on my left.

"I'm happy you two made up, but what about us? Can we talk now?" She wonders, arms crossed over her chest.

"I-" I start to give her an answer. Any answer, really, whatever I can make up.

Jabari cuts me off, though, saying, "My nose is bleeding. It's like what's that movie— The Shining."

I look to Morgan hoping the dramatized concern in my eyes is enough for her to let me go.

It is.

She relaxes her posture, arms swinging by her sides, and exhales deeply.

"Fine..." she sighs, talking to the back of my head as I walk away, tuning out whatever she says next. 

Jabari's laughter doesn't fail to make me join in

I hang my head, trying to calm down from this laughing fit, but his reaction made my joke even funnier.

"Damn, I missed you, boy." Jabari says out of no where.

"Don't be corny, bitch." I wave him off.

Jabari snickers, flicking a sunflower seed at me.

"For real," he says more sincerely, "it wasn't right having you gone. I was mad at you but when I heard you was missing, it fucked me up. I couldn't help but think I had something to do with you tweaking."

I clench my jaw, taking in his sentiments.

He didn't run me off, but I suppose his actions didn't exactly help me either. Still, I won't let him know what sent me over the edge. Can't have him deal with all that, I need to take accountability.

"Nah, man. Just— just needed to clear my head." I say as I push mine into the wall behind me.

I look up to the ceiling and gulp.

"You sure we good?" He asks for the third time in the past two hours.

I suck my teeth. "You ask again and we won't be, motherfucker."

Jabari's response is laughter. He throws his hands up, chewing the sunflower seeds, and grins.

"Alright, I'm just making sure. So, you good?"

I crack a laugh. "Man, I can't take you seriously with this tampon in your nose."

Jabari flips me off from the other side of the family room. "I heard it works."

To answer his question, I nod my head before my brain even has a chance to tell me how I feel.

"I'm alive."

Jabari shakes his head with a straight face. "Nah, but like, you okay? Mentally, and shit. As men I know it's hard for us to say when we not all there. Personally, that shit with Jasmine had me fucked up. I think if I ain't have no weed, shit, I would've crashed out, too."