THIRTEEN: Attacked And Captured

Începe de la început

As you and Toby reached the outskirts of Fanculo, your eyes scanned the town, searching desperately for any sign of Thomas. The air was thick with the acrid scent of smoke and the cries of the terrified civilians, and the clash of steel against steel echoed through the streets.

Your heart raced with a mixture of fear and determination, the uncertainty of Thomas's fate weighing heavily on your mind. You couldn't bear the thought of him being caught in the midst of this chaos, his young life snuffed out before he had the chance to truly live.

Consumed by your worries for the boy, you failed to notice the ominous presence that crept up behind you. It wasn't until a gloved hand clamped over your mouth and the cold press of a blade against your throat that you realized the gravity of your situation.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" a familiar voice purred in your ear, sending a chill down your spine. "A couple of rats from the emperor's palace. How nice of you to come to my trap."

Your blood ran cold as you recognized the voice - Geron Flitch, a notorious royal assassin from the Ervanszian Empire. A man known for his cruelty, cunning, and unparalleled skill. You had encountered him before, when you had been trapped in Ervanszia after your failed attempt to steal the emperor's crown. He had always looked upon you with contempt and disgust, treating you as nothing more than a worthless insect.

You struggled against his iron grip, but his hold only tightened, a mocking laugh escaping his lips. "Stop squirming, you little worm," he hissed. "You are not going anywhere. You are coming with me. I'm bringing you to him."

Your heart pounded in your chest, a surge of fear and anger coursing through your veins. You didn't want to face that man again, the one who had betrayed you, offering you freedom only to snatch it away the moment he had what he wanted. If you were to meet him now, without anyone to stop you, you didn't know what you might do.

Glancing over at Toby, you saw the same terror and confusion reflected in his eyes. He tried to speak, but Geron's hand muffled his voice. You, too, attempted to break free, but the assassin's knife pressed harder against your throat, a warning to cease your struggles.

"That's enough struggling, you little worms," Geron chuckled. "It's time for you to join the other one."

The other one? Did that mean he had Thomas with him? Your heart sank at the implication, and you redoubled your efforts to escape, even as Geron's men bound your hands and feet, unceremoniously tossing you and Toby into the back of a waiting wagon.

As the vehicle lurched forward, you knew that you had to find a way out of this predicament, with or without Thomas. You didn't care if you had to face Kaide Ledger again - you were determined to do whatever it took to escape this situation and ensure the safety of your friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Geron led you and Toby through the sprawling Ervanszian encampment, the hostile glares of the soldiers sent a chill down your spine. Your bound hands struggled against the restraints, while Toby's panicked gaze met yours, conveying the same sense of dread.

Geron yanked the chain connecting you, forcing you both to march forward. The center of the camp loomed before you, and you knew that the largest tent there could only belong to one person - Kaide Ledger.

"Kaide," Geron called out, adjusting his glasses. "Come out, I've got a surprise for you!"

The flap of the tent parted, and a tall, cloaked figure emerged, its eerie green eyes locking onto you. Your heart sank as you recognized those haunting orbs, the face they belonged to forever etched into your memory.

"Well, well, well, look who's alive," Kaide purred, his voice dripping with amusement. "I thought I made sure the fire would've burned your useless body alive."

Geron yanked the gag from your mouth, allowing you to speak. "You son of a bitch, I'll kill you!" you spat, your fury fueling your defiance.

Kaide's laughter echoed through the camp, his expression one of pure condescension. "That's funny," he mocked. "Look at your situation now, all tied up in a camp full of enemies with nothing by your side besides a bunch of useless kids."

"Kids? I've only got one," you corrected, your brow furrowing in confusion.

"Oh no, honey," Kaide said, shaking his head. "Look over there."

Your gaze followed the direction of his outstretched hand, and your heart sank as you spotted Thomas, bound to a tall cross in the center of the camp. His body was battered and bloodied, but he was still alive.

"What did you do to him?" you demanded, your voice laced with anguish and fury.

"The same thing I'm about to do to you," Kaide smirked, turning to one of his men. "Jeo, tie them up."

With that, the blonde villain retreated back into his tent, leaving you and Toby at the mercy of the Ervanszian soldiers. As one of them raised his spear, ready to strike, a sudden intervention stayed his hand.

As the Ervanszian soldier raised his spear, ready to strike, your eyes widened in a desperate plea for help. Suddenly, a familiar face stepped forward, halting the attack.

"Jeo," you breathed, recognition dawning in your gaze. This was the same man who had shown you kindness during your previous ordeal in Ervanszia.

"Jeo, please, help me out of this," you implored, your voice laced with a glimmer of hope.

Jeo's expression was one of conflict, his eyes downcast as he muttered, "I'm sorry, (Y/N). But I have to do this."

He turned to his men, ordering them to tie Toby down first. Your heart sank, the realization that Jeo would not be the savior you had hoped for settling heavily upon you.

"Jeo, come on, listen to me," you tried to reason. "You're a good person, Jeo. Please, just tie me up, and let the kids go. They have nothing to do with this."

Jeo's shoulders slumped, a sigh of defeat escaping his lips. "I'm sorry," he said, his voice tinged with regret. "Look, (Y/N), if there was something I could do to help you, I would've done it. But I can't, okay? I'm sorry."

With those words, Jeo began to drag you towards the cross where Thomas was bound, your own restraints being untied as he positioned your body. Just as he was about to secure you, a sudden arrow flew through the air, striking Jeo in the shoulder.

The unexpected attack caught the soldier off guard, and in that moment of distraction, you seized the opportunity. Summoning every ounce of strength, you kicked Jeo in the leg, causing him to stumble and release his hold on you.

Without a moment's hesitation, you broke free from the loosened bindings and made a desperate dash for freedom, your eyes scanning the chaos of the encampment for any means of escape.

As you ran, your mind raced, the weight of the situation bearing down on you. Thomas was still captive, Toby was left vulnerable, and you were now a fugitive in the heart of enemy territory. But you refused to give in to the overwhelming odds, your determination fueling your every step.

Wherever this path led, you knew you had to find a way to save your friends and confront the demons that haunted you. The future was uncertain, but in that moment, all that mattered was survival - and you would stop at nothing to ensure it.

============================