I began to slow as I got closer to the figure. Now, I could see that the impossibly tall figure was extremely gorgeous. The kind of masculine beauty that would have the angels singing in cliché harmony when he appeared. Strong cheekbones and jawline, perfect pout with flawless skin. Dark wavy hair with blisteringly bright blue eyes.

And if the fancy clothes and jaw-dropping beauty weren't enough, then the crazy nonsense on his head might be. It was like a crown but parts of it sat on his head without connection to the other pieces.

When I stopped, I narrowed my eyes and moved around him, looking at the peculiar headdress. The figure turned to watch me, raising an eyebrow. Reaching the other side, the figure turned to continue watching me. His head tilted, still offering a heightened brow.

"Are they horns?"

His lips twitched, restraining the smile.

"No, it is a crown."

"Are you God?"

"No, I am Belial."

"Why do you wear a crown?"

"It is a sign of status. Don't you fear me, Evelyn?"

My eyes rolled to the nonexistent ceiling as I sighed.

"Look, man, I've gone against Nephilim who wanted to punish me, a demon that was casting spells over my uncle to try and kill me, a psycho vampire who still wants me dead, his loser helper that tried to kill me but failed miserably, more helpers that were planning to abduct me and probably a whole lot more that I don't know about. You need to join the queue if you're going to dole out punishment for something I've done."

Rolling on my feet, I looked around the relentless white void as my hands went into my pockets.

"This your place? I like what you've done with it. You must be big on minimalism."

"Do you always make jokes to deflect your fear?"

"Do you always waste people's time by dragging them into the unknown for a conversation about nothing?"

"You lack manners. Clearly your parents are to blame."

"Is that some kind of sick joke?"

Belial looked at me. His brows began to press together as he stepped forward.

"I might lack manners, but you clearly haven't done your homework. Call me when you're actually aware of the person you face."

I smiled as I began to fade away, giving him a mocking wave. Belial didn't react like I thought he would. A hand reached out. As it clenched, I stopped fading. It was then that he smiled at me. Belial turned, holding his clenched hand at his side, dragging me behind him with his nonexistent rope.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Lame."

"Mind your tongue, child."

"Uh, not a child. I'm eighteen."

"And to me, you are a child."

"How old are you?"

"I don't know. I was here at the beginning, and I shall be here at the end. Will you be here, Evelyn?"

"Phoenix are eternal."

"Only in the lands of the mortals and the immortals. Those who dwell in these lands can easily remove you if that is what pleases them."

Well, that certainly changed a few things.

Belial chuckled.

"And now we hear silence. How interesting."

"Why am I here?"