Alone Together

Music swayed to life as Obsidian and Steven attempted fusion. It looked odd as Obsidian was a 7ft tall woman and Steven was almost as tall as the average eight-year-old.

Steven caught himself stepping on his mom's legs. He stopped dancing as Obsidian looked down on him quizzically.

"Why did you stop dancing?" She asked.

"I don't know... are you sure this will work?" Steven huffed.

Obsidian looked over and it seemed she started talking to herself. Or her components talking to each other. He wondered which component was talking to who?

"Well can he fuse?" She itched her head with her index finger. "He has a gem, of course he can fuse!" Yet even after telling herself, or her other components, she didn't seem too sure of herself. As one of her hands went down to turn off the radio, her other hands patted Steven on the head.

"I believe that is enough for today, baby boy." She gave him a smile. "You can go now!"

At her words, Steven ran off to go see Connie. On the way there he wondered if he could even fuse. He never saw anyone fuse before, maybe he could ask his Mom to unfuse and fuse again to show him? But then again that might come off as rude to her, considering she wanted to stay fused all the time.

He walked along the boardwalk, trying to see if Connie was reading on the beach again. Connie did say she didn't have school on Saturdays and Sundays, right? As he skidded to a halt near the sand, he saw her finally.

"HEYYY CONNIE, I'M HERE!!!" He waved at her as he ran to see her.

"WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG???" She yelled back.

He finally caught up to where she was sitting. "My Mom wanted to see if I could fuse." He told her.

"Fuse?" Connie looked at him, confused.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you." Steven smacked the top of his head. "Well gems have this ability to fuse into each other. Like, two gems can become one gem. My Mom is a fusion of five gems."

"Interesting..." Steven looked at Connie to see she had stars in her eyes. "And how do they fuse."

"I don't know exactly, but one way is dancing, I guess? They feel each other's emotions or understand each other, or something." He scratched his nose. "It's hard to explain. Either way, I must be bad at fusing because I just can't dance right."

"I get that." She stood up. "This one time, my school had this dance, and I really wanted to go. Except by the time I got there, I chickened out. I was too scared that the other kids would judge my dancing, and I didn't want to look awkward just standing there."

"Hey Connie, what if we dance? There is no one here."

"Yeah, sure!"

As they attempted to perform a sloppy waltz, Steven suddenly tripped over. Connie took her arms and caught him, as they laughed Steven's gem glowed. The light from the gem swallowed them both.

They opened their eyes.

"Why are my sandals so small..." They got up brushing their shorts off.

"Steven...?" They looked around confused. "Connie...?" They looked at their own hands.

"W-we FUSED!!!" They got up and looked down at themselves. Their clothes were and amalgamation of Steven's shirt and Connie's dress, with shorts underneath. They ran to a reflective part of the ocean to see themselves. They had light-ish brown skin and dark, long, curly hair that cascaded down to their back.

Realizing they could fuse; they ran a victory lap around the sandy beach.

"We- I should tell the gems!" At that note, they ran to the beach house.

As they opened the door, Obsidian turned to look at them. Seeing Steven's oh so familiar gem on the unfamiliar person, her eyes widened in shock. "Steven... you fused?"
Then covering her mouth with her hand, she whispered. "With his human friend...? This should be impossible, or could it be his human half?" Her components questioned themselves.

She looked at the new fusion again. "How do you feel Steven? Connie...? Ste....vonnie? Stevonnie?"

"I feel amazing!!!" The newly dubbed Stevonnie declared.

Obsidian stepped closer to Stevonnie and put two of her hands on either of Stevonnie's shoulders. "You are not two people, or one person. You... are an experience! Make sure you're a good experience. Now go... have... fun!"