☙ | f o u r t y - f i v e |

I literally cry at every disney film wtf is wrong with me.

_____________

"Harry?" My mother's voice calls out just as I was about to pull open Anna's doors. I audibly groan to show my annoyance as I turned around and crossed my arms over my chest. I raise one of my eyebrows to show her I acknowledged her. "That isn't your room." She says, but there was a teasing smile on her face that told me she already knew that I was aware of it.

I groaned again, but this time I accompanied it with an eye roll. I was tired as hell from the war meeting that took way longer than I expected - and all I wanted to do was cuddle up next to Anna's sleeping body. "I know." I mutter, my eyes drawn to the floor as they refuse to look at her.

In all honesty I was very much disgusted by her now. She had been sleeping around with a boy around half her age that she kidnapped years ago - my own mother, a whore. How could I not be disgusted?

When I quickly glance up at her, I can see the obvious sadness in her eyes now. She tightens her robe around her body as she lets out a sigh. "Have a good sleep then, son." She says, dropping her cheery mood "Lots to do in the morning with the war at our doorstep." She says to me, putting on that smile of hers again - though it was obvious it was fake.

I give her a nod before turning back around and opening the door to Anna's room.

I'm quite shocked to see her sitting against the headboard of the bed, hands fiddling with her hair as she stared out into space absent mindedly.

For a split second, the heart inside my chest feels like it stopped with the look inside my Anna's eyes. They looked dazed, and empty - and cold.

"Anna?" I call her out, my tone was tight as I made my way stand at the end of the bed. She doesn't respond and I feel my body go cold in fear that maybe, maybe her family's demise was the last thing the pressure needed to break her.

I crawl onto the bed, my hand reaching for her shoulder. "Anna?" I call, a little more desperation in my voice.

She flinches and her eyes blink numerous times before she turns her head to look at me. "Harry? When did you get here?" She asks, confusion written all over her face.

Slowly, I can see the light come back in her blue eyes and I can feel relief warm down my chilled body. "Just now." I say, getting off the bed to lift the sheets and move back underneath them.

I press my back onto the headboard too, but I found it unsatisfactory. So I just adjust myself so that my head was on Anna's lap, careful not to hurt her injured leg - not even shocked that I found that ten times better.

"What are you doing?" She asks looking down on me.

I smile up at her, reaching my hands out to take hers and intertwine them. "Getting warm." I say.

She shakes her head at me, smiling lightly as well and I couldn't help but smile even wider.

She was so cute.

And I never thought I'd use that word to describe Anna.

Beautiful, fearless, brave, and reckless, yes. Cute? Well, now maybe.

"How'd it go with the general and others?" She asks, her free hand beginning to stroke through my hair, and I actually almost closed my eyes and fall asleep, but I didn't want her to think I ignored her.

I keep my eyes open, staring up at Anna as I responded. "Good. They don't see the point in rescuing people below the Guard Wall - said it would have been nice to lessen the kingdom's population - but they can't ignore my orders."

"So you sent people to the fourth town?" She asks, and I'm once again extremely distracted by the feel of her fingers running through my hair.

I hum in response and play with her fingers on the hand I held. "Sent around a hundred and sixty, not counting the medics." I say.

"Good." She says, and her voice slightly shakes, immediately triggering alarms in my head.

"What's wrong?" I ask, and almost instantly her she freezes.

She doesn't answer, her blue eyes that looked black in the dim light seemed frightened. I sit up, bringing both of my hands to cup her face. She stares at me, mouth opening and closing before opening again. "I'm scared." She whispers.

"I'm never going to let anything hurt you." I say, leaning my forehead against hers. "I promise."

"No, Harry." She speaks, voice still soft. "I'm not scared of that, I'm just - just scared of myself." She says and my brows crease in confusion.

She leans away, causing my hands to fall from her face. "I'm scared of what I can do!" She suddenly shouts. "I'm scared of the promises I made! I'm scared of my thoughts and these damn emotions flying around everywhere! I'm scared of the possibility of me snapping someday!" Her hands, that had been waving around as she spoke, suddenly dropped down to her lap. "I'm scared, Harry." She says, her head hung down as if she was ashamed.

I rolled my lips together. Growing up, I never really had the need to control what I was saying - for one thing, because I didn't care what effect it had, and another is because no one would have ever dared to react anyway - but now...now I wish I had some sort of experience in this.

"Hey." I call out gently, lifting her chin up with my finger. Her eyes meet mine and it was like my mind was wiped blank of anything to say. "You'd be a fool not be scared." I let my mouth run on its own. "Only a stupid person fully trusts themselves. It would lead to overconfidence, and that could kill you in a time like this." I say.

"You don't understand- "

"I don't have to." I cut her off, my eyes never leaving hers. "I know you, Anna. In the short amount of time we've been together, I've known you - at your highest," The image of Anna in restraints popped in my mind, it was the first day I saw her since I thought she was dead, the way she glared me down when I wanted to hit one of the slaves who brought me food. The fire in her eyes was as bright as it always is. "And at your lowest." In my mind I see Anna in a ruined blue dress, alone sitting on the forest floor, barely keeping herself together as she wept before preceding to scream at me - eyes still burning bright. "You're strong, Anna. And now matter how scared you are, I know you'll pull through."

She didn't speak, and so silence claimed the room as she continued to stare at me, eyes a little glazed over with tears she was obviously trying to stop.

She opens her mouth, and I thought she was finally going to speak, but she only closes them again.

A few minutes pass by again, only for her to lean forward and press her lips to mine.

I freeze, shocked by the pressure of her soft mouth against my own and I'm suddenly enveloped in pure bliss.

Unfortunately, she pulls back before I could even reciprocate, leaving me yearning for more - but I wasn't entirely sure if she would have been okay with it, so I remain where I was.

I open my eyes, not even remembering when I closed them, and I'm met with a smile on my Anna's lips.

Except she isn't my Anna, but I wanted her to be.

"I'm yours." I say, holding her waist and looking straight into her now widened eyes before burying my face into her neck. I could hear her breathing pick up when I was this close to her. "If you'll have me, I'm yours." I say, a small trace of a plea in my voice.

It was in war and either of us can be dead by the morning or the next one to it. Death himself lurked around any corner, happily waiting for new souls to claim and it was stupid to be attached to someone at a time like this when anyone could die at any moment.

And maybe that's exactly the reason why I want to do this. So, even if it would for a short amount of time or a long life, I could say I had been with the one I care for.

"Mine." I hear her whisper as I feel her hands wrap around my body, and I could have sworn I could have burst into tears of relief right then and there.

"Mine." I say, and it was about fucking time that I'm able to say it.