16. Time for truth

Riya

After the confrontation I had with Shivaay, I came back to Mumbai. We were supposed to come back together but I didn't have it in me to be in the same place with him, not yet. I know whatever he did was for Druv's safety and I might have done the same if I were in his place but I am also hurt by the lack of trust between us. 

I know we have known each other for a short time but I am falling for him and I know that. I want to be someone important in his life and the way he hid the truth from me even after seeing me breakdown and blaming myself hurt me. I don't know why but I want him to trust me. I want him to share everything with me. I want us to share a beautiful bond strengthened by trust and mutual respect with lots of love.

"Ma'am," Someone called out breaking my trance. I looked up to see a nurse standing at my door with a notepad in her hands. She wore her pink uniform and her hair was neatly tied in a bun while a cap rested on her head. She is looking anxious.

"Is there any issue?" I asked.

"Ma'am there is an emergency case. A man was shot in the abdomen and lost a lot of blood," she informed and I rushed out along with her. My thoughts took me to Shivaay as soon as I heard about the shot and I took quick steps with my heart leaping in my chest as I ran to the patient. 

"Take him to OT and arrange the blood," I instructed the nurse and went to change my clothes. I took a breath of relief only after seeing the man and confirming he was not my Shivaay. I quickly put on my gloves and walked into the OT with another senior doctor and an intern.

"Vitals?" The other doctor asked and one of the nurses checked the vitals and we started the operation once the vitals came out normal. It took us 2 hours to stop the bleeding and operate on him. 

"Make the stitches,"  we instructed the intern and he did so with ease as his hands moved effortlessly. We walked out and washed up a little.

"Good job," I appreciated the intern and he thanked me politely. I went back to my cabin and started with my paperwork when someone entered with a nurse following him, requesting him to stop. I took a glance at him and turned to the nurse who looked scared and equally irritated.

"You can leave, I will handle it," I assured her, and she went away, giving me a nod.

I turned to my work and started checking the reports of my patients when I heard him clearing his throat but I didn't look up at him.

"Riya..."

"Riya..."

"Riya!" He yelled at last and I looked up at him with a glare.

"Lower your tone, you are in a hospital," I warned and he mumbled a sorry before taking a seat across me.

"I am sorry na baba! I really wanted to tell you everything once we come back. I was not planning to hide it from you forever. His own grandparents left him to die, Riya. No, I am not saying you are like them. I know how much you love him. I have heard it from Nisha and have seen it myself. I didn't want to put you and him in more danger. I am sorry! Please don't avoid me like that. You have been doing that for the last 2 weeks! I am done waiting!" His explanation turned into a whine and a tantrum at last. I gave him a sceptic look and he smiled at me nervously mumbling an apology again.

"Do you have anything else to say? I don't want this thing to repeat again," I leaned back on my chair as I awaited him to reply. If he is hiding something more, then he better clear it right now or else I will kill him if this repeats.

"Umm... can you pass me that paperweight?" He asked as he shifted uncomfortably in his place.  I nodded and passed him the paperweight. He kept that out of my reach and then shifted the pen stand and name plate away. What is going to say?

"IamintomafiaandIamtryingtotrackdownourculprits," His words came out rushed and I couldn't pick a single word out of his lengthy sentence.

"What?" I asked, confusion etched on my face.

"I am into mafia and am trying to track down our culprits," he repeated and my world stopped for a few seconds as I tried to grasp what he said. What does he mean by that? He's a mafia, which means he kills people.

"You kill people?" I asked still in my daze.

"Not any innocent. I kill the people who turn animals and hurt others," he explained and I couldn't think of anything to say. I pulled myself and spoke out at last.

"You can't just kill people, Shivaay. We have laws and police for that." I tried to explain but even I know how many loopholes our laws have and how easily people buy everything with money to hide their crimes.

"They failed to protect our baby's happiness, didn't they? Don't you know how our politicians support criminals for money? You are the daughter of a bureaucrat and the best friend of a police officer. You grew up seeing them both and their working. Don't you know how things work inside? Don't you know how many times your dad tried to get all those moneylenders back but those basterds of politicians bailed them out? Don't you know how many times Manik was stopped from arresting the goons just because they belonged to some good-for-nothing political party? Don't you know all those killers can easily escape just by throwing some money at those corrupt officers and politicians who don't think twice before selling the country for money?" He questioned and every word he spoke was true. I saw it myself. 

Dad got into the government field to do something for the nation but he had to stay back a few times. Although he managed to do many tremendous jobs, he still feels guilty about those 2-3 cases in which he had to leave because he got transferred from the case by the government. He was forced to take an early retirement because the case he was handling was of a minister and he forced dad to take retirement. But Dad is guiding his juniors and is handling the case unofficially now. 

Even Nik was restricted from arresting a few goons or the supporters of a political party because they were backed by those spineless leaders. He even got transferred multiple times because he was a strict officer who didn't fear their threats nor got lured by their offers. Some officers really want to do their duty sincerely but these bastards just won't let them! But the DGP was very supportive of Nik and he even issued some shoot-at-sight orders to eradicate goons. He always backed up Nik and his team. They even hatched new plans to clear the goons who escaped from the law.

"Why don't we talk to DGP sir? He will help us!" I exclaimed. I mean he used to adore Nik and he is surely against this political shit.

"He knows and we both planned it together and he is a part of it," his words made my head spin. A police officer and a billionaire are running the mafia? 

What in the name of cortisol is this? 

Shivaay forwarded a glass of water to me and I gulped it in one go as my mouth went dry with the new information I just received.