Chapter 4: The Party

When I arrived home later that night, I had a strong desire to call Velvet. I wanted to thank her for the money and a part of me even wanted to confess my feelings, but I knew I couldn't because she didn't like me back. So, I decided to thank her in person and text her later since I didn't know what to say.

Today is the day of Velvet and Veneer's birthday celebration party. They're turning 19, and since it's the end of our senior year, they are throwing a huge party. I must admit, I'm excited. Not just for the party itself, but also to go to their house and have Velvet help me get ready. Just the two of us, alone in her room. What could possibly go wrong?

The day passed by slowly, all my classes were dull. Then I had a science test, so I couldn't even talk to Velvet. I missed hearing her voice. Finally, the end of the day arrived, and the final bell rang. I walked down the halls, searching for Velvet. I hadn't been able to talk to her all day. I turned a corner and suddenly felt someone bump into me from behind, their hands grabbing my waist. My heart sank, and I quickly turned around. "Woah there! It's just me," Velvet said, and I relaxed a bit, although her hands were still on my waist. "Don't scare me like that," I said, pushing her back and making her let go of my waist. Instantly, I regretted pushing her. I wanted her to keep her hands on me.

"Aww, but that's no fun," she whined, and I laughed. "I've been trying to talk to you all day, thank you so much for the money yesterday!" I said, finishing my sentence in a quiet voice. Her face turned slightly pink. "Did you see the note inside?" she asked, her breath shaky. "Yes! I'm sorry I didn't call or text. I wanted to, but I just didn't know what to say," I replied, and she smiled. "Well, let's head to my place," she said, putting her arm around my shoulders.

We walked out of the building like that and made our way to her car. "Is Veneer coming with us?" I asked. "No, He went home with Ritz, but he will join us later." We both entered the car. "What type of music would you wanna listen to?" Velvet asked as she started the car and I fastened my seat belt. "Anything, you pick," I replied, and she grinned at me. "Would you like to hear my favorite song?" she asked. "Yeah, play it," I responded, and she connected to her car's Bluetooth.

As we drove down the road, the song began playing. "This sounds familiar," I commented, trying to remember the song. "You might know it," Vel said, singing along with the song. I was amazed at how well she sang. "I summoned you, please come to me, don't bury thoughts that you really want. I fill you up, drink from my cup. Within me lies what you really want." "It's 'Middle Of The Night,' right?" I asked, and she nodded, continuing to sing. She turned to look at me briefly during the song. "Come, lay me down, 'Cause you know this, 'Cause you know this sound. In the middle of the night. Just call my name, I'm yours to tame, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the night." She stared into my eyes. "I'm wide awake, I crave your taste, all night long, 'til morning comes." She then looked away, her face turning pink. Did that mean something? The way she looked at me while singing that part..

I leaned back and watched and listened as she passionately sang the song. She looked so happy and at peace while singing. I've noticed that she's been really happy with me, happier than I've seen her with anyone else before. She must really likes me, although, probably not in the way I wish for her to, but maybe someday...

"You're really talented at singing," I complimented her once the song ended. She looked at me with a beaming joy. "I know! I love singing. I wanna be a singer one day. Veneer and I have it all planned out," she shared, and I raised my eyebrows. "Have you heard Veneer sing? It's not as good as mine, of course, but still impressive," she said, and I just smiled. "I haven't. I would love to hear it though," I replied, and she handed me her phone. "Play something. Let me hear the type of music you fancy," she spoke in a fake British accent making me laugh. What should I play? I decided to choose a song I really liked.