Chapter 28

The sun had dipped down, casting a blue shadow over the palace. Misa and Royle walked back to his chambers after reminiscing about Min-Min at the little grave. Royle didn't ask Misa to tell him about Nisha, and Misa knew he was only holding back because of her loss. Their hands lingered, close but untouching. Misa flexed her fingers, and she couldn't take the silence, the distance anymore. She slipped her hand into his and came close enough that their shoulders brushed together.

"When we get back," she murmured to him, "I'll tell you everything."

Royle returned her hold, squeezing slightly to acknowledge her words. The silence wasn't tense anymore, only heavy with a dark cloud of grief. At least, Misa could finally relieve her burden to him, even if it would be just a little. She hadn't realised how exhausting it was to keep such a huge secret from him, and she appreciated that he didn't force her to tell him, that he hadn't manipulated her or guilted her into giving him what he wanted.

They made it up the stairs, and Misa let her mind wander. She stared at the looping pattern of the floor, trying not to cry as she thought of Min-Min. It was easy to trick herself into thinking the cat was still out there, living its life, but then, reality would crash down like a wave, and Misa would take a moment to compose herself before she broke down again.

She only snapped out of her daze when Royle stopped. She had lagged behind him, and she bumped into him before she halted her steps.

"Royle?" she said. She peeked past him and saw the reason he had stopped. A shudder of rage and fear buzzed through her, and Misa was torn between storming forward and staggering back.

Royle pulled Misa behind him, more out of instinct than anything else. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

Nisha tapped her chin, giving them a sidelong glance with a small smile on her lips. "Why are you so serious? Were you at a funeral?"

Misa's heart stopped. No. It couldn't be...could it? Had Nisha been the reason Min-Min died?

Nisha laughed at their reaction. "Oh, don't give me that look. I was only joking."

She wasn't. Misa knew everything Nisha did was deliberate. The witch knew exactly what the two of them had been doing, and she was no doubt casting a line to bait one of them into her trap. Misa already knew who Nisha was targeting, so she stepped forward and took the bait before Royle could even react.

"What do you want, Nisha?" Misa pulled her hand from Royle's grip. "Please, just leave us alone. I just buried a friend. Can't you give the grieving any peace?"

"A friend?" Nisha raised a sceptical brow. "I see. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of time. Misa, I came to find you to prepare for the celebration. It's only two days away, and we've much to do."

"She's not going anywhere with you," Royle spat.

Misa shot him a sorrowful look. "No, Royle. It's okay."

"No, it's not." He shook his head, frustration taking over his features. "I've had enough of this shit." He glared at the witch who took everything from him, a protective arm in front of Misa. "Stay the fuck away from her."

Nisha's eyes burned with hate, striking fear into Misa's heart. "Haven't you learned your lesson, nephew? You took my sister from me once. It won't happen again."

Little brat! Die!

"Royle, stop." Misa pulled him aside, her hands desperately turning his head to face her. "Please. Look at me." The fury in his eyes burned into her. She saw the questions he didn't ask and the desperation to understand. "Listen. I need you to trust me. Can you do that?"