thє dєvílѕ dσll

TAEHYUNG

Y/n places her hands on top of her head, the gun pointing to the ceiling.
She curses in disbelief. She’s breaking, and I can’t fucking stand it. I need her strong. Need her to put that blind faith in me and me alone.

“Why don’t we all calm down and have this discussion elsewhere? The church, perhaps?” Bishop Caldwell suggests, nodding nervously.

“No,” Y/n demands firmly. “No, we’re going to have it right here. Right now.” She turns to face me. I see heartbreak beneath the tough facade, and it was exactly why I didn’t tell her. Not until the moment was right. This moment.
When she could face him herself.

“Both of our fathers are in this room right now,” I say calmly.

“But you already know that.” Her gaze is intense as her mind works.

“He killed your mother!” Sain cries out. “He killed your real mother, Y/n. My father told me. Beat her to a pulp in an alley. It’s why he was in prison. You can’t trust anything he says!”

Alastor shifts on his feet beside me as I sit in silence. This is the moment.

All the past few weeks, the biblical messages, the exposure of truths, the training, the pieces of this puzzle formulating into one image before her.

Look at his face, baby. See it in his eyes. She knows my story, my disturbing truths, and now she has everything she needs to make her own decision about the men before her.

“I’ve always tried to protect you,” Sain continues.

She raises her hand to stop him. The silence holding this room together has an energetic fog all its own as everyone waits for her to talk.

“How many students were in our catechism class?” Callum and Alastor share a look before both focusing back on Sain.

“W-what? Why are you asking about that right—”

“How many students?” she asks again with her eyes closed.

“Twenty-three,” he answers quickly, breathing hard.

Her eyes open and fall upon him, a sinister grin growing across her bloodsplattered face.

“Precisely.” His face contorts, and he peers nervously at his father and then back at her.

“See, you fucked up, Sain,” she says in the sweetest tone. Her innocence shines through in her sweet smile as she casually leans back against the table facing the room. “I’m not nearly as stupid as all of you assume. You see, I’ve used it for my benefit, of course, the naivety, but I’ve figured you out.” She shifts her focus back to him.

“You called me early that morning, ensuring we went to the school together, arriving at the same time. Do you remember?” She tilts her head to the side. “You knew exactly how many students we had. You knew there weren’t enough catechisms. You knew I’d need to get more. You also knew Joco Edman was in that closet, waiting for me.” She chuckles lightly.

“Convenient, don’t you think?”

“Not true,” Sain retorts before reeling in pain as his hands move beneath the items pinning him. “Whatever he did was on his own!”

“In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I remembered.” She leans closer to Sain while her eyes stay focused on mine. “Some of Joco’s last words were that he couldn’t believe a girl as calculated as me got it all wrong, and that he, meaning you, said I’m not supposed to mess up your face, but I will if you give me a reason to.”