hσld thє kєч

TAEHYUNG

Y/n sits pretty in the corner of the exhibition room by herself while Jungkook and I silently talk business across the way.
“They’re antsy. Up in their fucking asses upset that she ran,” Jungkook tells me.

“Apparently, Callum sent some of his own guys to search for her after seeing the plane tickets purchased under her name. When they couldn’t find her at the airport, they expanded their search. Greyhounds, all that. They want her,
and now that she’s gone, Callum is flipping his shit.”

I scoff. “Figures. They lost control of the situation by placing their needs in someone else’s hands.” My hands.

“You got that right. I’d love to take on one of those greasy fucks, show him how we operate in the streets.”

“And Sain? Any word on him?”

“None. And I can’t figure that out. I’m assuming he’s just playing it cool to keep the heat off him for the time being. Such a controversy for him to be a part of this, considering...” My tongue trails across my teeth as I shake my head, thinking of my little blackmailing situation.

“I mean, it seems they are really pushing for him to step in and take the bishop title, which is odd for someone of his age, but they need the family name permanently solidified in the church if they hope to conquer the townspeople, and they will pay anything to make that happen.”

“Everything that family has worked for.” I scoff, sarcasm in my tone.

“The Bishop’s term is nearing its end, and he seems more than eager to hurry the process since the suicide,” Jungkook explains.

The suicide. Fucking perfect.

“What suicide?” I ask, playing stupid.

“The deacon. Sorry, thought you knew. They initially thought it was murder because of the way the scene appeared. Confessional was all messed up. Multiple gunshots, yada, yada. But his Bible…” He pauses, leaning inward. “Inside his personal Bible, he’d confessed to some nasty shit. It spoke the truth, and all the pieces connected.”

I’m grinning like a fucking demon beneath my calm exterior. My plans worked flawlessly. Years of sitting in a cell with an imagination that ran wild, and talking to fellow convicts assisted in that. I learned the way the world really works behind those bars. Made friends that turned into family.Real fucking family. Not the trash floating through my veins, giving me my physical appearance.

“But yeah, Sain’s lying low, and Callum has had it with Alastor. That man is panicking. The election is coming soon, and if Alastor’s highest donor drops him over this shit, he’s risking re-election. He’s been in here asking for Bones.”

Fucker knows too much.

“Knew that was coming. It was only a matter of time. Those politicians lose their shit when things start to collapse around them.”

“Keep your eyes peeled. They’re wising up, Taehyung,” he says directly, before looking at Y/n in the corner. “You can’t stay the masked man forever.”

I absorb that, my mind racing endlessly. He’s not wrong. I’ve stayed under the radar with the help of Alastor, committing his crimes while he protected my identity, my secrets. But crossing him by not following through with my commitments has that protection dwindling.

“Just…play it safe,” he says softly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I pull away from his touch. “Fuck off.”