Announcement

Alright. This isn't a chapter as I'm sure you've guessed. This is a bit more important. This is me speaking up. 

I have a question for all the girls and women reading this. Do you try and get home before dark? Are you constantly scared that if you don't get home some one is going to rape you? Do you automatically grab your keys to use as weapons if boys get too close for comfort?

I do, and frankly I'm sick of it.

Why do we have to be scared? Why do we get blamed? We have to cover up, or we'll be asking for it. We can't say anything because they couldn't help themselves or we would be ruining a boy with a bright future's life. We get blamed for things that aren't our fault because we went drinking at a club. Because we didn't cover every inch of our skin and instead wore something a little sexy. If we get catcalled it's a compliment. If someone grabs your ass or boob, they like you. It's not right.

If you have parents who warn you, you learn early on to fight. To scream. To except there is a chance you're not going to get help. To use what ever you can as a weapon. To be home before dark. To be ready to run as fast as you can at a moments notice.

Why?

Why? Because no matter what people say, we still live in a mans world. We may have come a ways, but if I go drinking, I need to be with other people. I need to watch my drink and if someone comes to close to it, I can't drink it. 

It's not every man. But it's enough. It's enough that we have to be afraid. 

If you're offended by this, then screw you. I am sick and tired of being afraid in my own neighborhood. Being afraid that when a car starts to slow down when I'm walking home, I run as fast as I can. 

If you're scared then I'm sorry, but this is life. Real life. No superheroes to save us, no one to go to. All we have are ourselves and others like us.

If you're brave enough to stand up, then stay standing. Don't let anyone push you down. If they say your shorts are to short, then cut them even shorter, because honestly, fuck them. Who are they to dictate what we wear. Someone grabs your ass or your boob, punch them in the face, screw the consequences. 

Stand up. Don't be afraid. Boys, we can't do it without you, they won't listen enough. Stand with us, let us know you do support us. Because eventually we will rise up. And when that happens, when we finally all realise that men don't dictate our lives for us, we will raise hell.

So honestly: who's with me?