Review by Mahi: Knowing Jace Wonders📗

Reviewer: Mahi (sparklet11)

Requester: Knowing Jace Wonders by GirlinPajamass

Title: 3/5

The title was quite hard to comprehend, in the sense it did not give me a hint of the story-line. It looked a bit irrelevant yet it delivered it's aspect of keeping the reader intrigued. I felt your title was kinda bland when compared with your intriguing plot.

Cover: 5/5

I have to applaud you for your incredible cover. It's intricately detailed and meticulously designed. It's enticing enough for mystery, crime and thriller lovers to get hooked into your book within seconds. But I think it might also be nice to add Cassie in it. Once again, hats off to the cover.

Summary: 5/5

The blurb did it's perfect job of giving a sneak peak to your story. It's well detailed and I didn't notice any kind of errors in the way your sentences delivered the content of your book. Also it's the perfect length — not too long or short and delivers the exact purpose a blurb must do. And since the summary is one of the first steps to invite a reader, I think your blurb appears very compelling. I also loved how you introduced the three main characters in the beginning with a single and very fitting line.

Grammar & Punctuation: 5/5

There is nothing much to delineate when it comes to grammar and punctuation because I found no errors. The perfect number of lines a paragraph must have and the perfect usage of punctuation was the only thing I noticed.

Character Building: 5/5

A very important aspect because character building is what that makes a reader relate to the story better. The more defined and detailed, the more a reader gets attached.

I love the way you introduced our main lead Cassie as a bullied and abused teenager in the most non-cliché way. The nightmare described in the beginning was simply thrilling and spine-chilling. I love how you incorporated her mother's abusing within the dream. It made it look more practical and realistic. Also her introvertedness and the inferiority complex is neatly highlighted at the apt moments. That adds more beauty to your character building.

Ace's introduction was simply ultimate. The few actions as in watching the globe, his familiar yet demonic looks and him forgetting the names of his victims is lucidly clear-cut in giving his villainous depiction. And when he reveals he himself isn't alive adds more diabolism. It's also fitting for Ace to save Cassie so she could help him find his killer.

Jack, the basketball captain, is aptly opened at the right moment. It's fitting for a reader to be aware of the bully's boyfriend a little later because his presence would be trifling if he was introduced in the beginning. I am glad you did not make the mistake of introducing all the characters right at once. It's perfect for the characters to unfurl one at a time at the right pace. And you achieved that by planning a coincidence through a secret Santa game.

Other supporting characters like the nanny Margo, the bullies ( dead and alive ), Darren, serendipitous friend Gaia and even the good yet busy father were described in adequate quantities enough for the readers to realize their supporting yet a defined roles.

Writing Style: 4.5/5

Coming to the style, I am going to mention something I noticed in this topic instead of Character building since I am not sure whether it's a mistake or my inability to understand.

In the third chapter, when you describe Darren's escape and decision to leave the place, you mention that Natalie and Jack killed themselves. However, the first two chapters state the name of the bully to be James. I kinda got confused since the third lead's name was also Jack. If it was a mistake, make sure to rectify.

Talking about the pace, it's neat and good. The emotions rise high when Cassie enters the eerie mansion and palpitates upon meeting the dead killer.

Agitation and angst is delivered when Cassie is bullied by Mia and others.

Every scene has obtained a good use of descriptors and that makes the reader entirely visualize the whole story in their imagination. And that's a very big achievement in terms of setting.

Each scene transcends one another in smoothness. Once again, I really love the way you have written Cassie's nightmare. Its simply wow.

Plot Originality: 4/5

Judging on plot originality, I cannot say it's completely original in the aspect of a ghost seeking help to find his killer, however, the type of victim chosen and how he is a gruesome ghost who shows no mercy to his victim unless he has a use adds originality to your plot. In the sense, it's different to see a ghost choose a bullied person to find his killer upon seeing her submissiveness. Also, Ace possessing other to kill his victims is also good.

Reader Engagement: 4.5/5

I think the readers will be thoroughly engaged due to the books engaging plot. The readers will keep on traveling with Cassie to unfurl the mystery of who killed Ace Finnegan and how.

Comments:

- Just make sure to check the Jack and James confusion.

- Might think of changing the title to something more catchier. It's up to you and it's only my humble suggestion.

- Totally in love with your innovative style of writing that adds curiosity to the readers and hope you continue your good work!

Overall Score: 36/40