Chapter 32

(Jisung's POV)

Ear-splitting booms rumble throughout the vacant chamber of the warehouse.

The sharp forces that hit and enter his body has Jisung staggering back and an excruciating pain flares all throughout his right shoulder.

Fuck—

Despite the efforts to steady himself, Jisung falls to his knees and curls forward while Jungkook's shadow moves in to loom over his hunched form.

Two bullets had gone through him in a matter of a second; one in his upper right arm and one near his clavicle, and somehow, he was still holding onto his gun. Jisung, however, had never intended to pull the trigger.

Was he naive to have thought Jungkook wouldn't either?

"Shooting your own kind, this is low even for you," Jisung rasps sardonically, struggling to not let the immense pain overtake his senses. Something warm seeps—a dark crimson blooming along the fabric of his dark jacket.

As if the remark hit a nerve, Jungkook's inked hand furls tightly around the recently fired weapon, his knuckles going white. "I have my orders. I don't tolerate interferences from anyone, including you," he responds thinly.

"Well it's too late." A harsh breath escapes Jisung as he lifts his head. "You won't catch up to them. And even if you do, Hyunjin won't hand her over to you."

Jungkook straightens his back to look across the dim and empty space of the abandoned building. Something briefly flickers in his eyes. "Going through all this trouble—is it worth helping a traitor?"

"H—" Jisung screws his eyes shut when another surge of pain wracks his shoulder. "He's not a traitor—and it's not a matter of worth, we look out for each other. Not that you'd understand." There's an air of finality that sticks to his strained words, his dark brown eyes opening back up to rigidly express he has nothing more to say on the matter.

"Rules exist for a reason, even amongst people like us," Jungkook trails off quietly, his brows momentarily smoothing out from their creased state. His gaze eventually drops to settle on the eyes glaring at him from below. "Tell me where they're headed and the punitive actions you'll face will likely be minimal," he demands.

Jisung clenches his teeth in an effort to withstand another wave of pain that soon follows. Controlling his labored breathing was proving to be difficult and he grimaces while focusing on the cold ground beneath him. It didn't matter if Jungkook riddled his body with more bullets—there's no way he'd give up any information that would compromise his friend's location.

The way Hyunjin looked at you, the way he spoke to you, how worried he was that you'd come to hate him after being told the truth about everything...

It was obvious he cared about you much more than he's been letting on.

But on a deeper level, Jisung felt that Hyunjin needed you—needed someone from the outside world he could connect with. You were his tether to a life he had long forgotten about after this dark and isolated world had become reality.

When Hyunjin's prickly and jaded side gradually began softening over the last couple of months, it had been noticeable. In all the years Jisung's known him, nothing's ever affected his friend in such a profound way and it didn't take much to see that Hyunjin was gravitating towards something—someone.

You.

You were someone special to him, someone good.

Someone worth breaking the rules for.

The prolonged silence has Jungkook skimming his tongue over the inside of his lower cheek before it peaks out to prod at his lip ring. He sets his jaw before slipping the gun back into his waistband and finally asks, "Aren't you curious as to how I found you here? All the way out in Busan?"