Chapter 20

"Lose?" you echo out loud.

Hyunjin scans your face, reading the obvious confusion as his fingertips graze the skin below your ear. He somberly presses his lips together before mumbling, "It's nothing".

Drowsiness leaves you altogether as your chest strangely tightens at the feeling of his hand falling away.

"I lose."

Your mind reels trying to comprehend what he meant by that. Lose at what?

"What's wrong?" you ask hesitantly, distracted by how you're unexplainably wanting his warmth to return to your cheek.

"Nothing's wrong," he answers in subtle exasperation. A faraway look glazes over his features as he relaxes against the couch. "I just wanted to feel your face," he says nonchalantly, staring up at the ceiling above your tv.

His tone gave the impression that touching you was the most mundane thing he's ever done.

A little hurtful, if you had to be honest.

"You make it sound like you're touching a towel," you mutter.

Hyunjin lets out a warm breathy laugh. Seeing and hearing him laugh like this sparks a weird feeling of anticipation in your stomach. Almost like... butterflies were fluttering about.

But the foreign feeling is short lived as it's quickly snuffed out by the impish grin flashing across his face. "You're nothing like a towel," he says with false reassurance. "Towels are soft," he quips mischievously.

You bristle, immediately narrowing your eyes at him. And what, my face is like sandpaper?!

Scoffing, your focus gravitates towards the humming fridge; it calls out to you, tempting you to grab a snack. All this late night chitchat was beginning to make your stomach needy. Maybe it's wasn't butterflies earlier, maybe it was the familiar beast called hunger making a ruckus to get your attention.

Yogurt and blueberries suddenly sounded so, so appealing.

You sigh with a shake of your head. "Should've known... you're always trying to get a rise out of me," you grumble while attempting to push off of the couch.

"You didn't let me finish." A hand gently wraps around your wrist. You can feel tension form in your arm as you're stopped halfway from getting up. "You're much softer," Hyunjin says, his thumb running across the slope of your wrist.

Having planted one foot on the cold tile of the floor sent a small shiver throughout your body, but this was good. Because the sudden warmth rushing to the surface of your skin threatened to take the form of a raging blush.

Okay. Butterflies 1 : hunger 0.

Your heart begins beating erratically as he pulls you back down from your awkward half-standing state and your breath lodges in your throat.

"I wasn't trying to get a rise out of you," he explains softly. "Is this okay?"

"...Is what okay?"

"Touching you." Hyunjin's gaze falls to his own hand holding your wrist, seemingly ready to let go.

You blink, feeling flushed. "I... don't mind," you answer lamely. What the heck, since when did you starting feeling so embarrassed in front of him?

"I want to kiss you."

You inhale, but the exhalation never comes.

Trying to come up with an explanation, you take the time to search Hyunjin's face. His expression is genuine and his eyes are locked onto yours, briefly flickering to your lips and then back. There's no hint of teasing in his tone, and yet it's so out of the blue that you wonder what his motives are.

"Listen, can you stop joking around for one second? I'm hungry. I'm gonna go grab-"

"Look at me."

His unwavering voice leaves no room for argument, and it honestly catches you off guard. Your eyes are probably the size of saucers at this point as you stare in befuddlement.

"Can I kiss you?" he asks sincerely.

Wait, seriously??

"Um..." You swallow, chewing one side of your lower lip nervously. "It's uh, it's almost 1am."

Hyunjin raises a brow. "Is there a specific time you prefer being kissed?"

"No!" you blurt in embarrassment. "No. I just meant that it's... late. And... I've never had a guy over at this time of night. Much less kiss one..."

"Stop doing that," he suddenly orders.

The heck? What's wrong with him today?

"Do what?"

"Please stop biting your lip." Hyunjin shuts his eyes, letting out a tense and drawn-out sigh. "It's distracting."

You gulp. Seriously, what's gotten into him? Why was he so hell bent on kissing you all of a sudden?

"Did you even hear what I'd said earlier?"

His eyes slowly open, carefully studying your face as his own expression eases. "That you're uncomfortable kissing this late at night? Yes, I heard you," Hyunjin mutters. "So how about I make you a promise?"

"What promise?"

"That I won't try anything else on you, Miss Scaredy Cat."

"I'm not scared," you retort. "I just don't think it's a good idea when... you don't like me in that kind of way."

You swear there's a smirk playing on his lips when he suddenly tugs at your wrist again, but everything happens in a quick, blurry sequence. You gasp as your knee hits the side of his thigh and you awkwardly catch yourself from tripping over his lap. Realizing your face is hovering just inches from his at this point, you try to backpedal with wide eyes.

But your squirming ceases when his free hand comes up to hold your chin in place.

"I'll take that as permission."

With those last words, silence plagues the room as his lips press against yours.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  ◈ ◈ ◈  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

a/n: two updates in a week i'm on a roll