Chapter 7

(Third Person/Hyunjin's POV)

It's a cold, Tuesday afternoon.

Hyunjin's eyeslids become heavy sitting in the warm, idling car. He had parked along the side of a road to give himself a break from driving.

Having just returned from tracking down another potential target, he was exhausted. He had been out the last few nights and the lack of sleep was finally catching up to him.

This was the tedious aspect of his job, gathering information on people's whereabouts and routines, sometimes for days on end.

And he knows Jisung's been doing the same. Nearly a week has gone by since he last heard from his friend after being assigned to separate tasks.

While working alone, Hyunjin began wondering why his superiors have not mentioned anything about you.

Especially since he was supposed to report back, but never did.

Was your capture no longer a priority? Or could they have simply forgotten?

He's quick to dismiss the idea.

Like they'd ever forget anything.

Someone is at the crosswalk not too far up ahead, walking briskly to get to the other side. Hyunjin doesn't pay much attention to pedestrians, but the familiarity of this particular silhouette gains his interest. When his eyes follow the moving figure, the profile comes into view and it catches him off guard.

It was you.

All bundled up in a long, wool coat and scarf.

The coincidence is jarring, but he realizes the area is actually not that far from the school campus.

He watches as you go into a small, two story building wedged in between two taller buildings. Hyunjin squints at the storefront sign.

Cat Attic...

There's a drawing of a coffee cup on the sign, and he takes a guess that it's a...

Cat cafe?

Curiosity leads him to turn off the car ignition. Despite feeling tired, he decides to follow you.

◈ ◈ ◈

You hear the door chime, indicating someone has come in.

You look up to greet the person only to have words get stuck in your throat.

Hyunjin?

He's walking over to the counter you're standing behind, and you slowly pick up a hand, managing a small wave.

It's been well over a week since you've had any contact with him, and he's the last person you imagined running into today.

"Hi," he says.

You can feel him glancing up at your brow.

"Hi," you answer, feeling a little self conscious. You didn't bother covering up the bruise today since you weren't at school.

"I was passing by and saw you through the window," he explains, answering the obvious question written on your face.

"Oh." You nod. "I uh, I work here. Part time."

"I can see that." He eyes the cafe apron you don. "Guess I'm just a little surprised."

"Surprised?"