Chapter 11

(Third Person/Hyunjin's POV)

Hyunjin removes his bloodied gloves, tossing them aside. His head hangs low while reaching for the sides of the bathroom vanity, and he lets his weight shift forward. The porcelain sink below seems to mock him with it's pristine surface, and he hates it.

The sound of screaming and crying, the voice begging for him to stop... it all still echoes in his mind.

When he finally lifts his head, his haggard reflection stares back in the mirror. Hyunjin grimaces at the specks of crimson splattered along the side of his face.

It isn't often he'd be called by Minho or the Elders to do this, but it never fails to leave him in a rather unusual (maybe even a little unstable) headspace afterfwards. Because this strays from the expectation he's used to... which is that families would scramble to gather and pay the ransoms in exchange for their children's safe return.

So to abandon your child like this by choosing to ignore the situation, it's an anomaly that chips away at his belief—that even the shittiest and most corrupted people would do anything for their own flesh and blood.

Hyunjin feels himself becoming more hollow each time he's proven wrong. Maybe even a little angry. Angry at parents, at his job, at Minho and the Elders. At everything.

Why is it that the kids end up being subjected to this kind of torment? He would much rather make their poor excuse of a family suffer instead.

Buzz.

The vibration snaps him out of his thoughts.

Hyunjin begrudgingly reaches for his phone from his back pocket and sets it down on the counter.

┌ ————————-3:15pm-———————┐
    [You]
      Class finally got out. Meet
you outside of the art
building when your class
gets out? I have your jacket
      with me.
└————————————————————┘

He bites the inside of his cheek. He completely forgot he was seeing you today.

Hyunjin blankly stares at his phone for the longest time, unable to decide how to respond. He considers coming up with an excuse since it's not the best day to be interacting with others.

But it's strange. Even in the midst of convincing himself to avoid everything, he finds a part of him wanting to see your face. He wants to feel normal. And you were just about the most 'normal' thing in his life right now.

Being a normal college student like you, with normal worries, normal friends, a normal job...

What would that even be like?

A useless thought, he decides.

Hyunjin takes one last look down at the screen before proceeding to turn on the faucet.

He begins wiping the blood from his face.

◈ ◈ ◈

You wave at the familiar figure coming closer, and you get up from the bench to go meet him halfway. Hyunjin greets you with a small smile as you stop in front of him.

"Sorry I'm a little late."

You cross your arms, feigning frustration.

Hyunjin blinks. His lips part slightly and his hand comes up as if to apologize again.

"Just kidding." You break into a smile, teasing him as he often does with you. But there isn't much of a response from him as his hand drops back to his side.