Chapter 30

"In a hurry now, are we?" an unsuspecting tenor voice echoes.

Hyunjin halts so abruptly that you nearly slam into his back.

After following him in climbing an endless flight of stairs, you're left huffing but also gaping at the enormous space you've emerged up onto.

It's nothing like the winding corridors below—this had to be the warehouse.

And in the middle of it all is a tall man clad in black, standing leisurely, waiting.

"An awful lot of work this is," the stranger chides with a sigh, "all for a single girl." He takes purposeful steps to close the distance, stopping a few feet ahead.

Hyunjin pushes you behind him but doesn't back away. "Minho sent you."

"This isn't just about you and Minho now. You've fled with our target, Hyunjin. Some might even call it an act of treason."

You carefully take a peek to get a better look, and the man bares his pearly white teeth at you in a wide grin. A silver ring adorns his lower right lip and the piercing gleams dully with the angle of his focused smile. "There you are," he says almost melodically.

Despite the shape of those doe-like eyes, the voice is shrewd as he inclines his head in your direction. "Come." He brings up a hand that's littered in tattoos, extending it towards you. "While I'm asking nicely."

Your gaze moves from his less-than-inviting palm back to his eyes. "I don't think so," you answer back with equal steel.

The hand drops—he appears displeased. "You're stirring up a lot of trouble for my comrades."

"Jungkook hyung, don't involve yourself in this," Hyunjin warns, but not unkindly.

And as you're wondering what kind of relationship the two might have, something—no, someone rushes up the stairs and whooshes past you, shielding both you and Hyunjin.

"Go," Jisung commands, his focus and gun aimed at the man in black. "Hyunjin, I'll know where to find you. So go."

Your breathing staggers when Jungkook pulls out a handgun of his own, pointing the barrel at the brunet in front of you. "You understand the repercussions for helping them, don't you, Jisung?"

Hyunjin appears shocked as his partner stands to defend him, and the concern in his eyes doesn't go unnoticed. His gaze subtly darts to Jungkook as if calculating and considering the options in his head.

He then whispers to Jisung, "Meet me there."

And suddenly, you're pulled into a sprint.

There isn't time to react as you're whisked out of the building with Hyunjin's hand around your forearm in a vice-like grip. With no time to spare, he places you into the passenger seat of his car and the vehicle roars to life as he starts the ignition.

The car swerves violently in a semicircle as he slams on the gas pedal and jerks the handle, leaving a dust trail in its wake.

Your heart rockets into your throat, and in the midst of escaping the vicinity of the warehouse, two muffled gunshots go off inside the building in quick sequences.