Chapter 3

Throwing yourself on the bed, you tiredly roll onto your stomach.

The coffee excursion with Hyunjin was...interesting, to say the least. Never have you seen so many female students blatantly gawk at someone having coffee.

But Hyunjin was handsome, you have to admit. His facial features lean more on the sharp and prominent side, but his face also has a softness to it that's difficult to describe.

You suppose, if a person could simultaneously look both icy and warm, that would be Hyunjin.

Spending over an hour at the cafe, you learned very little about him—like four or five things. His full name is Hwang Hyunjin, he prefers iced americanos over hot, his major is undecided for now, and his biggest pet peeve is when people use air fryers.

Yeah, the last one left you scratching your head, but he described his dislike for them so vehemently that you could only nod. You swear he shuddered talking about it.

But what really threw you in for a loop happened towards the end of the date. If one could even call it that.

(Earlier...)

"Can I have your number?"

Hyunjin was asking nonchalantly with a straight face, sliding his phone over to you. You're not used to any of this, and you can only imagine the dumbfounded look on your face.

"I'd like to hang out again," he says with a subtle wink, his chin resting on his palm.

Friendly? Or a flirt? You couldn't decide.

The entire time, he seemed interested in learning more about you, asking a lot about your life outside of school, and even about your family. It made you shrink a bit in your seat.

You're really not one to casually blab about yourself, especially your family, to someone you've just met.

And when you tried to balance the conversation by asking him questions, he kept his answers fairly short, never going off tangent. He never revealed anything more than he was asked.

It was hard, because it almost felt as if you both had built some kind of a wall up. Hyunjin was kind and engaging, but he definitely seemed a little tight lipped when it came to details about himself.

It was a contrast to his seemingly easy going persona. But, who were you to judge?

Hyunjin was a nice guy. And you decide you had a good time, recalling how effortless it was talking about everyday stuff, like music and food (hence the earlier topic of air fryers).

Not wanting to overthink it too much, you pick up his phone, adding your number into it.

Sigh.

Was making new friends always this hard?

You and Seungmin naturally became close because you both bonded over the same nursing classes. But you and Hyunjin...you're not quite sure what you had in common. Aside from your love for americanos.

To be fair, most of the people you surround yourself with are childhood or highschool friends. You've never really had to put in any efforts to make new friends since starting college, and boy do you feel rusty.

You slowly sit up from bed, eyeing your desk as it practically yells at you to stop procrastinating.

Friends could wait for now.

Your current priority lies in tomorrow's exam.

◈ ◈ ◈