Chapter 24

Warning: This chapter mentions a manner of death that can be triggering. It's not descriptive but do proceed with caution.

"You're the sole daughter of Hiram's CEO, am I correct?"

"How... how do you know that..."

"Because you're the reason why my sister is dead."

There's a visible shift in Minho's demeanor—his expression turns frighteningly rigid and his eyes are pinned on you in the most inhospitable way. An unnerving silence accompanies this new icy atmosphere and you're perturbed by it to say the least.

Hard to believe this is the same smiley guy you interacted with earlier when you fell outside.

You watch him warily, trying to make sense of his incredulous accusation, but you come up absolutely blank. What the heck was he talking about?

Next to you, Hyunjin seems just as befuddled, his scowl morphing into a look of confusion similar to your own.

When you fail to speak, Minho languidly leans forward against the table and you nearly flinch as he further hones in on you. He's mentally cornering you and you despise it. You remind yourself there's no reason to cower, you've done nothing wrong.

"Do you believe in karma?" he asks softly. "I myself don't count on it necessarily, but I do
believe in making things even. It's not fair to get away scot free when something is owed, don't you think?"

"You're being awfully cryptic, what could I possibly owe a stranger like yourself?" you fire back, refusing to let him intimidate you.

Minho grins wryly at your response. "Spoken like an ignorant princess who's never known remorse."

Okay, now that ticks you off. Who the hell was he to insult you like this? And remorse? For what?

You bite the inside of your cheek as irritation trickles in. "I'd stop beating around the bush. Just spill what you really want to say," you advise curtly.

"Hn. Sure. I can spill," he enunciates scornfully.

You cross your arms defensively as his dark eyes lock onto yours.

"My older sister... Yiseul," Minho starts out carefully and there's the slightest break in his voice mentioning her name. "Anyone who's met her would say she was bright and had a good head on her shoulders. Our family—we weren't too well off and it held her back from attending the college she's always dreamed of. But that never deterred her, she chose a small community college she could afford and somehow managed to land an internship at Hiram Pharmaceuticals. She said your father gave her a chance as the other interns were all from prestigious universities. And eventually, she was offered an entry level job there after graduating."

You stand your ground; this doesn't change anything at all. So his sister was smart and worked for the company—many people have. So what?

Hyunjin subtly gives you a sidelong glance but you keep your gaze solely fixed on Minho, waiting for him to continue.

"That was years ago—around the time Hiram began rising as one of the bigger pharmaceutical competitors in the country. My sister remained loyal to them for years; she was always grateful for the opportunity she was given despite her background. And at her young age, she began the process of developing a drug patent for them. Yiseul worked hard to make money for us to live off of, and so she poured every ounce of her time and energy to get that patent ready for submission," Minho recalls somberly. He lazily traces the the surface of the table with his forefinger, almost as if he's going over an invisible map.