Chapter 14

"Did Minho say anything to you last night?" Hyunjin asks, munching on a potato chip. His elbow is propped up on the table in your direction, chin resting in his palm.

The library is quiet, and all you can hear is the rolling of a nearby book cart and the occasional 'crunch' from the boy sitting next to you.

"No, not really," you respond absentmindedly, twirling a pen in your fingers. You practically bore a hole in your textbook as you unproductively stare at a long list of diabetes medications. Ugh, pharmacology. Definitely your least favorite subject.

You bring the pen up to your lips, chewing on the blunt end in frustration. The exam was in two days and you've gotten nowhere with this chapter in the last hour.

A hand gingerly pushes your wrist down to get the plastic out of your mouth. "Don't do that, it's bad for your teeth."

You frown at Hyunjin before letting out a groan, and your forehead goes down onto the table with a 'thump'. "I'm never gonna memorize all of this," you grumble. "Why isn't it winter break yet..."

You can hear the chip bag crinkling next to you.

"What's so great about winter break?" Crunch.

You look up at him wide-eyed from the table. Seriously? And—why does he still look good from this angle?

"Uh, no exams? No studying or worrying? Four weeks of pure bliss? I don't know, take your pick."

Hyunjin seems unimpressed, his fingers thrumming steadily against his cheek. "Pure bliss, huh?"

"Why aren't you studying?" you accuse, noticing his lack of school books or a laptop. Actually, he didn't even bring a bag. What kind of a student was he?

"Cause I don't have to." Crunch.

You sit back up properly. So, he was one of those students; the rare kind that barely studies but still manages to ace all of their exams.

Must be nice.

You narrow your eyes at him, jealous of his laid-back demeanor. Why did he even agree to join the study session today?

"Giving up so soon?" Hyunjin eyes your textbook that you've begun to close shut.

"I don't give up. I procrastinate," you correct proudly.

"Can't tell if that's confidence or laziness."

Just as you're ready to make a face at him, something in the window behind him catches your eye. The sight of the outside world instantly lifts your mood and it solidifies your plans to make studying priority number two for now.

"Look, it's snowing," you whisper, delighted.

◈ ◈ ◈