"Braking" news

Sometimes it isn't the news itself that's breaking, it's you who "brakes" when encountering that news. Nowadays my Facebook news feed gives me many reasons to pause. Someone's getting hitched, someone else is going on a honeymoon, and some have hastened into motherhood. It's predictable. First there's the first "brake", the initial engagement announcement. Then you know that you have lost them, in the digital world at least, because a couple of years of their Facebook timeline after that announcement will be wedding photos and then baby photos. Bridal shower, baby shower, all the rest. You know how it goes.

I cannot find an explanation for why new brides post photos of themselves in bridal wear on their big day consistently and regularly even after one year has passed. The happy event defines their lives, I suppose. Anything else I may speculate about this topic will probably be cynical, so I will change tracks here.

The train of thought is an interesting machine, especially when it travels across a Facebook news feed. It can go from a muted "uh-huh" to a scandalized "no, she did not post that" in seconds. It can then go back to "uh-huh" before entering a new phase. Come on, timelines are eventful. They are much more eventful than life itself. That said, an uneventful life is a good thing. It means that matters are progressing as usual.

What news causes you to hit the brakes?