45. Alone and walking

Start from the beginning

"My baby! I've missed you!" She said as she gave me a kiss on my forehead. "You don't look so good, is something wrong?" She asked.

"I'm on my period so maybe it's just mood swings." I told her which wasn't a lie.

"I've missed you so much, my queen and I didn't want to celebrate Christmas without you this year so I made sure I came back early this year with your dad." She said as she took her palms in mine.

"Where's dad?" I asked her with a small smile on my face.

"He's upstairs because he's tired but darling, let's go downstairs because there's a suprise waiting for you there," she squealed. "I'll be waiting." She told me as she blew a kiss.

I walked over to the bathroom and used clean water to wash my face. I wasn't interested in the surprise but I knew that I had to go down to make my mom happy.

I used the elevator instead of the stairs because I was too tired to keep climbing and since Dad had confirmed that the elevator was perfectly working, I knew that I would never get stuck in it.

When I got down from the elevator and walked outside the house, I don't think I was prepared for what I had seen. Mom was standing close to a car—a Tesla.

Lord Jesus. It's what I'm thinking, Amen.

"So you're not going to run and hug your mom for this birthday gift?!" She asked as I ran towards her and engulfed her in a hug.

"I love you so much, Mommy!" I yelled as I gave her a hug and Tesla Boy by Odumodublvck and Blaqbonez started playing.

"I love you too, my darling." She whispered. I'd taken lots and lots of videos with the car and I almost wanted to call my friends and tell them what happened but then, I realized that driving it to school during resumption was a better grand entry.

I decided to take the stairs this time around and when I had almost gotten to my room, I decided to go and check up on my dad and probably thank him for the car if he was awake.

I opened the door and for the first time ever, I heard my Dad yell at my Mom and she had tears in her eyes but Dad wasn't comforting her.

What's going on?!

"Kambili, I don't think it's a good time to be here right now. You should be in your room." Mom ordered as she quickly wiped off the tears that had fallen on her cheeks.

"I don't think I should be in my room. I'm sixteen already and in two years time, I'll be an adult." I told her.

My Dad just stood there with his usual face, but there was something unusual about his look because for the first time ever, my dad wasn't smiling at me.

His eyes looked blank and I couldn't read the emotions in them but I saw something dark and whenever my dad had that look in his eyes, it wasn't a good one.

"Maybe we should tell her."

That was the first sentence my Dad had uttered since I heard him yell at Mom. The moment she heard those words, Mom kept chanting ‘no’ like it was some sort of an anthem.

She walked over to Dad's side and held his hands, trying to plead with him and surprisingly, he flinged her hand away from his.

Wow

"Emeka, we can't tell her about it today. I just surprised her with the car and if you let her know, it's going to—"

"We're getting a divorce, Emerald."

I'd waited for a minute. I counted the seconds in my head as I waited for my Dad to burst out laughing and tell me it was a surprise but I got none. I was ready to keep counting until that statement turns into a joke but I got nothing.

"I-it's part of the prank b-because of the Tesla, right?" I asked and from the look on their faces, I knew that it was true.

"Your Dad didn't want you to know about it this way, I promise—"

"Does your divorce have anything to do with me?" I asked as a tear drop fell from my eyes. Mom walked closer to my side and used her thumb to wipe off the tea that fell from my eyes.

"No, baby. Your Dad and I just figured out that we aren't good for each other anymore and we fell out of love and it's natural.—"

"Your mom would be staying here with you in Abuja and I'll be staying in Lagos. I'll be leaving in some minutes." Mr Andrews said. Mom seemed to get angry at his statement as she walked over to his side angrily.

"Can you be human for once, Emeka! This girl is your daughter and your attitude is breaking her!" She yelled.

"Stop making me look like the bad person because I'm not! You're the one without a womb because you commited Seven abortions!—" Dad yelled.

Ehn.

"—And you kept lying to me about this all this while and made me believe I was the one who was infertile just because you were scared that I was going to leave you!" He added.

"I tried to tell you but I was scared of your family. I didn't want to lose you, Emeka." She cried out.

She wasn't denying.

"You've already lost me, Nike."

Those were the last words my dad said before he left the house. My mom couldn't even run after him. She just sat on the floor and cried like a little baby. She pulled her wig off her head angrily and flinged it away. She used her finger nails to tug on her hair and I was scared that she was going to hurt her scalp.

It hurt me to see her this way.

"Aiye mi ti baje! Ah!" [My life has spoilt] she yelled as she hit her hands repeatedly on the floor. I wanted to walk over to her side to comfort her but I was scared that she would hurt me so I picked up my phone and sent a voice message quickly to Aunt Kanyima.

When I had done that, I increased the volume of the music on my phone and then I started walking.

First of all, I want to apologize about how this ended but it was meant to end this way.

And for all those who thought Kam's story had ended and only evolved around Jason, you were wrong. She's the main Character and she has lots and lots of issues, but it's going to get better, Don't worry.

I'll see you all when I have the strength to write a new story. Till when we see again.

Ciao ✨