Chapter 10: Flipped

Cathedral screamed as loudly as she could when she was pushed into the waterfall.

Surely there were rocks underneath!

Surely she would die!

She had been betrayed by non-other than Morana herself.

Cathedral was surprised when she landed on her butt in a field of grass in the middle of nowhere, instead of being dead and having to deal with that stupid goddess of death again.

She grimaced, the sheer thought of Marzanna was enough to send dread tingling down her spine.

"You're that girl!" a singsong voice said behind her, "What are you doing here?"

She whipped around to see Daphne watching her.

"I landed here," Cathedral said, then immediately regretted saying.

Daphne laughed, pulling Cathedral up to a stand, "Come on, I'm sure Horace would want to meet a girl as pretty as you, maybe he'll even ask you to join our crew."

Cathedral gulped, but allowed herself to be led away, this girl couldn't be that bad, right?

She was led to Horace Vaugn, who was seated on a throne, a crown on his head.

It would've looked hideous on any other person, but this was Horace Vaugn.

On his head, the huge golden crown looked as though it belonged.

Cathedral stared at him, unable to tear away his gaze.

"Yes, I know that I'm handsome," Horace said, yawning, not bothering to look at her.

Cathedral blushed.

"I would like to join your crew," Cathedral heard herself saying.

Horace laughed, "You won't make it! Only people who I think look good enough are aloud to join my crew."

Cathedral gritted her teeth, feeling an overwhelming need to please him, "Look at me," she challenged.

Horace laughed, "Oh, please, there's no way you could be prettier than my wife."

"Open your eyes and look at me!" Cathedral begged.

He finally opened his eyes.

He gasped, covering his mouth with his hand, "Gosh, you are pretty."

"So, will you let me join?" Cathedral blurted, unable to control her mouth.

"A girl as beautiful as you?" Horace laughed, "I would be an idiot not to except."

"Repeat after me," Horace instructed, "I swear upon the River of Memories that I will serve and answer the call of Horace Vaugn until I die."

Cathedral felt his control snaking away as a bead of sweet formed on his brow.

She refused to repeat the words.

Horace's eyebrow furrowed, "You don't accept?"

Cathedral gulped, she opened her mouth to say that it was all just a mistake, but Horace must've sensed her emotion.

Her mouth clamped shut against her will.

She nodded.

She wanted to glare at the boy, but her eyes weren't responding to her command.

Horace Vaugn laughed, the bioelectrical energy between them snapping like a piece of uncooked spagetti, "Very well," he said, "Take her to the brig and tie her up,"

Cathedral screamed in pain as a length of rope was tied around her wrists so tight that it cut into her skin.

She felt something sticky and hot drip down her palm and immediately knew that she was bleeding.