Chapter 8: Cries

"She's gone." Morana whispered, kneeling beside Adrienne, who had collapsed onto the ground, sobbing.

"I-I should have helped her! I should have been able to-"

"It isn't your fault! It was mine," Morana paused, turning her head away, "If I hadn't stopped singing so soon, she would still be here."

"B-but I promised to be there to her, I promised to help her!" Adrienne wailed, flicking tears off of her face.

Morana bit her lip, unsure of what to say.

Did you take her? Morana asked the Ocean.

Mira! The Ocean's voice was filled with happiness, It's been so long since you're spoken to me!

Morana smiled weakly, I've missed you, honestly.

The Ocean was silent for a moment, Even after what I've done?

Yes. Morana replied without hesitation.

The Ocean couldn't smile, but if She could, She probably would be right now.

I need a bit of help. Morana continued, fidgeting with her siren's dress.

What sort? The Ocean asked, Her voice filled with concern and a touch of panic.

The water began forming a little hurricane around Her dear siren.

Don't worry, Morana spoke quickly, I'm not going to betray or disobey you.

Then what sort of help would you need? She asked, calming down.

I need some help finding a friend of mine, she has brown hair streaked blue and purple and has a pair of sapphire blue eyes, she's wearing a deep purple hoodie and a pair of black jeans.

The Ocean was silent for a moment, and Morana knew that she was reaching out to search for anyone close to the description she had given Her.

She isn't in my waters. The Ocean replied, defeat in her voice.

It's okay! Morana said quickly, forcing another smile.

Thank you for all you've done for me. Morana said, Even after what you did to... him.

The Ocean went silent, I'm so sorry, Mira.

It's okay.

This time, Morana smiled for real, it was a rare sight, really.

The Ocean's waters wrapped around her like a soft blanket, or maybe a hug.

"Adrienne," Morana said, gently tapping the blonde girl's shoulder, "Lauren isn't in the water anymore."

"I-I know." Adrienne bit her lip to stop from letting out another wail, "I just wish I could have helped her more."

"Do you still want to make it to the middle of the maze?" Morana asked, flicking her hair behind her ears.

Adrienne thought for a moment, then shrugged, "I really don't want to, but if we don't continue this journey, Lauren's sacrifice would have been for nothing."

Morana just shrugged, "It's fine if you don't want to, you know? We'll get through this, we'll be able to get out."

Adrienne brushed away the tears on her face and sniffed, "We're going to make it through this stupid maze, and we're going to confront Cathedral and stop her once and for all, enough people have died for this cause, it ends here."

"Bold words," a cold voice sounded from behind as an underwater bomb exploded a few feet away from them.

"Scar," Adrienne growled, pushing herself to her feet, her boomerangs at a dangerous angle, "I detected your presence the moment I realized Lauren was gone, where have you taken her!"

"Oh, her?" Scar sneered, planting a kiss on Lauren's cold lips, "She's right here."

"Law!" Adrienne whispered, reaching out towards her friend, "What has he done to you!"

Scar laughed coldly, quickly smacking Adrienne's hand away and pulling the brown haired girl's limp form closer to his body and adjusting the towel which was the only thing covering her body, "Don't expect her to be able to hear you,"

"What do you mean?" Adrienne asked, her grip tightening around her weapons.

"She's almost dead." Scar said simply, shrugging as he carelessly unwrapped the towel on Lauren and made a bloody cut on her naked body.

Scar frowned as though the towel were getting annoying, "She didn't form an alliance with me, so she's gotten a taste of her own medicine."

He let out a growl of frustration, throwing off the bloody towel and gazing at Lauren's body with greedy eyes.

One of his hands was under Lauren's waist, keeping her upright, while his other hand began casually feeling her naked body.

"You shall too." Morana said simply, averting her gaze in utter disgust.

Immediately, Scar's blue eyes glazed over as though he had been hypnotized, and in a moment of time, he had been swallowed by the Ocean.

"Idiot." Morana murmured, knowing that even Cathedral wasn't stupid enough to go against the powers of the Ocean.

Meanwhile, Adrienne was checking Lauren's watch which had gone dark, indicating that she had no time left.

"She's actually gone this time, isn't she?" Adrienne asked darkly, glaring at the place where Scar had stood a moment ago.

Morana nodded, flashing her thoughts in sign language: 'We need to keep moving.'

Adrienne sighed, laying Lauren's body onto the floor of the maze, "I suppose."

Could you take her for us? Morana asked the Ocean.

Of course. She replied instantly.

'Let's go.' Morana signed, moving forward, the Ocean's currents supporting her every movement.

Adrienne followed reluctantly.

It took the two of them a while to realize that the temperature had dropped noticably.

"It's cold." Adrienne shuddered, wrapping her arms around herself.

Morana nodded

It was a moment later, that they realized a battle was happening.

On one side, Scott was blasting ice magic at Joel, Jimmy was smacking Ren's sai with his tridant, and Gem was casting forcefields against Tango's spontoons.

On the other, Joel was dodging Scott's icy magic, his Netherite sword in hand, Ren's sai had connected with Jimmy's tridant, and Tango was throwing his spontoons like boomerangs, even though the current made the spontoons float around and do zero damage.

'If we're quiet, we can sneak past without killing anyone.' Morana signed, putting a finger to her lips as she and Adrienne snuck silently through the water.

As the battle waged on between the two groups, Morana and Adrienne silently passed into another part of the maze, the Ocean's currents guiding them through the maze, making sure they made the right turns.

"Thank the cods...We really are making a deal with destiny..."