Chapter 8: Thrown

They had gone to Lorrel, home of Morana.

Fine.

They had travelled to the spirit realms.

Fine.

They had crossed a 'harmless' river.

Fine.

They had met a goddess.

Fine.

They had done so much to get their friends back alive.

Yet this is how it all ended.

Their friends were dissolved into the river, she would be dead, and Scott would become Marzanna's pet.

The thoughts raced through Cathedral's head as she sank deaper into the river's welcoming embrace.

Each water droplet was like a dagger, making invisible cuts in her skin which burned as though touched by acid.

Cathedral wanted to scream, to fight, but the whispering voices in the water took away all her energy.

Dimly, she registered a splash.

Maybe someone was going to save her, maybe Marzanna realized her wrong doings, and maybe, just maybe, she could save all the spirits too.

If she could just regain control over her powers...

She groaned, stretching out her fingers.

Nothing happened.

It was useless.

All her power combined wasn't enough to fight the power of a goddess.

Cathedral's eyes closed, she wanted to give up.

She imagined the water around her, red with her own blood.

The though made her shudder, but there was nothing she could do about it.

It was all over now, she could rest, she could close her eyes...

A pair of arms pulled her into an embrace.

Cathedral wanted to force open her eyes, but still, there was no energy left in her body.

"Cathedral," a familiar voice spoke beside her ear.

The sound was blurred by the water, but Cathedral managed to make out the next few words.

"Stay with me."

Cathedral forced her eyes open.

Scott was holding her in his arms.

Cathedral leaned closer to him, trying to feel the warmth of his body.

There was nothing.

Perhaps it was all just a hallucination.

Her eyes closed again.

"Cathedral!" The voice came again and again, repeating her name.

She couldn't do anything, she was so tired.

She felt someone lifting her head.

Suddenly, she felt warmth pulsing through her veins.

Her eyes shot open.

Cathedral could feel one of Scott's hands looped around her waist, the other tipping her head towards him.

There was no sound at all, even the river's whispering had gone silent.

Scott's lips were warm against her's, and Cathedral felt her brain melting.

Almost instinctively, one of her hands looped around his neck, grasping for his hair, the other grabbed a fistful of his clothes.