N I N E

The children loved the play date. Moving the time didn't stop them from being talkative and lively. Mony was by my side the whole time, bragging about having the Luna as her sister. The other children spoke about school and how they're learning about werewolves. Harmony's best friend, Unique, stuck by us as well. Towards the end the two girls joined a group of boys and girls. It seems the two girls have the attention from the boys already.

Right now, I'm getting dressed. Next in my agenda is a date with Dane. Dinner, I should say. He's with her mother at the moment, leaving me to change alone. I grab a black dress. It's rather short, it stops mid thigh. It has black lace covering the bust area, the rest is silk. Lilac bought me new shoes she saw and immediately thought of me, or so she says. They're heeled converse shoes. They look exactly like converses, but they have a four inch heel. I tie them on.

Usually I leave my hair loose. Taking a deep breath I tie my hair in a messy bun, a few strands framing my face. My mother always hated my hair up, she said it makes me look older than I already am. My father, he could care less. I was the odd one of the bunch. I mean, where did my black hair come from? They both had dirty blonde hair, my sisters have blonde hair. I have black hair.

I do a thin layer of foundation on my face before the powder. Instead of my three layers of eyeliner I do a black smokey eye. Today is all about change I guess. I apply a subtle orange color lip gloss. I look, the same but different.

The door opens. Harmony is in the clothes she was in for the play date still. "Darcy, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," I smile, taking a seat at my vanity. Harmony rocks back and forth on the heels of her bare feet. Her teeth sink into her bottom lip. Her hands fumble behind her back

"How much do you like Dane?" I'm taken back by the question. I like Dane a lot. Hell, I love the man. But I'm not about to go declaring the love I have for a man I've known for two weeks.

"A lot," I whisper. Mony smiles. She whips her hands in front of her, exposing a black rose. I grab the flower. The spray paint has small flecks of glitter, making the flower shine. Slowly I look back up at Mony. "What's this for?" Her smile widens.

"Just Dane wants you to know that even a flower covered in black, doesn't die," Mony smiles before skipping to the door. She spins to face me again. "Oh, meet Just Dane by the back door." She leaves humming a song. I stand from the chair, the flower in hand. The door closes behind me. Suddenly, Bryce comes up to me holding another black rose.

"Pweople don't fwall wike flies. Flies fwall wike us."

Another rose is handed to me. "If you are anything, you're a spider. You're so misunderstood we don't see the beauty and the things you do for us."

Another rose. "One day this world will need a saviour, we want you to be that."

Just like that seven more flowers are passed me to with sweet yet completely unnecessary sayings. Tears swell in my eyes by the time I'm at the back door. A small piece of paper hangs from the threshold by a single piece of black strink. The setting sun makes this feel real. It actually feels like Dane is doing all this for me; the girl who's been pushed over and abused. I untie the paper from the string. In big letters it says: