F I V E

"It's my birthday! It's my birthday!" Mony yells throughout the house. People come from their rooms to congratulate the birthday girl. Whenever we have a significant event, like a fifth birthday for a female or a seventh birthday for a male, everyone leaves their rooms. We gather in the large field behind the house, shift, and surround the girl to howl for her well being. It's like singing happy birthday, but as a wolf.

I scoop her into my arms. "Yes, it is. Now go with Lilac while everyone else goes into the field. Happy birthday, Mony." I let her down as someone takes my hand. Dane stares down at me, a happy expression on his face.

"Come on, it's time to serenade the birthday girl," he pulls. I laugh and follow him. People already are gathered around in a giant circle. Harmony is set, sitting, in the middle. Her eyes shine with excitedness. I've never seen her so happy in her entire life as much as she now.

Dane and I stand beside each other. We're comfortable in our skin as wolves, so stripping is no problem. Large wolves start to sprout up everywhere. The sound of bones breaking fills my ears as suddenly I'm on all fours. Ahh, it's nice to be out.

Harmony's eyes look around, but something is missing. Someone she wants here is missing, and I have a feeling I know exactly who's missing. Fucking Melody couldn't make her little sister's party because she's mad at me.

The first wolf to start the howling is Chris, then Lilac, next Dane, finally me. Next would usually be her family, meaning I double howl. Everyone else starts. The song we create is something only you can imagine, we've been taught at a young age how to create this melody. Slowly the song comes to an end. Wolves turn into people who start clapping. I'm back in my dress, clapping from my little sister. Her eyes shine with tears as she comes running into my arms.

"I love you, Mony," I whisper giving her a kiss on her cheek. Finally, Melody struts her skinny ass into the party.

"What's going on?" She mumbles. Everyone quiets. Of course I'm the first to speak at Melody.

"You just missed our song to Harmony," I snap. Her eyes dart to Mony. Melody's wild blonde hair is in a pony tail and she's in sweats. My emotions go from content to complete rage in a matter of seconds. "How could you forget? Mony has been talking about this for weeks." Melody raises her hands in surrender.

"Chill, I forgot. It's not a big deal." Mony leaves my arms. She stomps up to her big sister.

"Yes it is!" She cries. "You never do anything nice for me like Cici does! Darcy might be mean to you, but she's never mean to me! You're mean to everyone. Why don't you love me?" Harmony runs into the house. A sigh leaves my lips. My rageful eyes lock with Melody's tearful ones.

"Oh don't cry, Melly. We all she's right. You're a big, fat bitch to everyone, including a five year old." My body brushes past hers. "I might be a bitch but you deserve it. That's what big sisters are for, aren't they?"

Dane follows me into the house. Every time I see Melody my body gets angrier and angrier. One day I'm going to snap like I did in the kitchen two days ago. Harmony is sitting on the bottom step of the stairs, crying into her hands. I immediately bend down to her level. "Mony, Mony? Don't cry. You know Melly loves you."

"No she doesn't!" She bellows. "She only loves Just Dane and herself!" My eyes lock with Dane's. Melody told my little sister she loves Dane. "She said that Just Dane will be hers, that she's going to steal him." Her watery blue eyes look at Dane.

"Don't let Melly steal you from Cici. Melly's mean and Cici isn't, and you buy good ice cream. If Melly takes you she'll make sure Cici doesn't ever get you back!" She cries, flinging herself into his arms. Dane holds my crying sister with wide eyes. His hands rub her back.