T H R E E

"So," Melody draws out while munching on her celery. "You and Dane? I mean, what spell did you put the poor man under? Was it your hips or lips? Hell, was it your hair? Everyone seems to have a soft spot for that damn hair." She groans at the putrid taste of her afternoon snack. Mony was taken out by Luna Lilac for birthday shopping, and who am I to turn down a determined Luna and Mony's pup eyes?

"Melody, I didn't put him under any spell, we're mates," I tell her as calmly as a woman can when all she wants to do is punch her little sister in the face. Melody rolls her eyes at me.

"What would a man like him want with a woman like. . . you?" Melody questions with almost disgust in her voice. Rage fires up on the pit of my stomach.

"What the hell do you mean by that?" It's taking everything in me not to pound her face in for saying such things about a future Luna. My whole body freezes. What the hell did I just say? Future Luna?

My wolf clears her throat. Being around Dane is bringing your Luna out. You were born to be his mate, meaning this has always been inside you. Why people always do as you say, why children adore you. It's all because of how you were born.

Melody scoffs. The way her eyes roll make me want to see her head roll off her shoulders. "He's powerful. You're a big. Fat. Slut." A growl sounds through the kitchen. It wasn't Dane's no, it's mine. A wicked smile crosses Melody's face. "What? You going to hit me for calling you want you are? Once Dane sees how much of a pain you are he'll go cheat on you with a real woman, someone like me." Both hands of mine slam onto the table.

"Listen here," I seeth at my sister. "I won't hesitate to rip you limb by limb with a smile on my face. If you even try to come between my relationship with Dane you will never see Mony again, you won't even see the sun again. You know how much of a crime it is to intervene in a couple who've found each other, meaning mates. One report and you're shipped off." My threat isn't false. If the council finds out she is or planning on separating Dane and I consequences will follow.

"Darcy, why can't you let me have him?" She screeches. Being the curiously nosey people around here they stop to watch our exchange. I am too irritated to tell them to fuck off.

"Because he isn't yours!"

"He can be, if you let me have him. You get all the guys, why can't I have the one I want?" Her blonde hair is wildly falling from the cute bun it was in. The shine in her blue eyes is gone, now replaced with anger, frustration. I'm sure my eyes reflect hers, maybe to a higher degree.

"He isn't yours to have! Go find your own damn mate! Or go be just like your big sister until you find yours! Honestly Melody, I don't give two shits what you do. It's not like we were ever close. At least not after what I told Dad." She visibly flinches. I shouldn't have said that, but she's so damn frustrating.

Her eyes flame up. Now I've done it. "You motherfucking bitch. You know you did the wrong thing, you're just angry. I can have any guy that I please, once I find one that deserves me." I roll my eyes. "Don't you see, Dane is the one." I scoff.