The Cruelty of Grief

It’s been two days since the whole episode stuff happened, and today, Master Makarov is announcing the S-Class runner ups for the trials. The people who make it onto the list are Natsu, Gray, Elfman, Juvia, Levy, Freed, Cana, and Mest. The only choices on that list that surprise me are honestly Levy and Mest. Levy simply because I can’t imagine her trying to take out her friends in a huge fight for a title. And Mest because it unsettles me when I don’t remember why I remember a person. And I can’t remember anything about him other than the fact that I simply just know him. I don’t like being around him. He’s weird, and not the good weird. It’s the weird weird. Freed chooses Bickslow as his partner to help him and Evergreen is a little salty about it. However, it all works out, and Elfman chooses her as his partner. Juvia teams up with Lisanna, Natsu teams up with Happy obviously, Levy surprisingly teams up with Gajeel. I ship it. Gray surprises the heck out of Lucy and teams up with Loki, her spirit. Mest teams up with Wendy, and Cana teams up with Lucy. Erza, Mira, and Gildarts (who is the strongest wizard in Fairy Tail) have revealed that the wizards will have to beat them in fights to make S-Class. Safe to say, I don’t think anyone is going to get it. Not if Gildarts is involved. I’m however always going to have faith in my friends. It will be a little boring around the guild though, because basically everyone is going to these S-Class trials. Not to mention me and Rosie are going on a vacation together, so it’s going to be extra quiet. Everyone has a week to get their partners picked and then they have to meet on the dock of Magnolia. Rosie and I are leaving on the same day everyone leaves for the trial, so we’re on the dock saying goodbye to the Thunder Legion. I hug Evergreen first, “Keep Elfman in check will you? Even if you’re competing, you still have these two to help you with that.” She laughs lightly at my words and pulls out of the hug, brushing some hair out of my face. “Don’t worry, men don’t stand a chance when I’m involved.” I laugh at her words and move on to hug Freed. “No cheating sir! But still win! I can’t wait to see you with the grand S-Class title.” He chuckles and says, “We don’t know I’ll win yet. The competition this year is going to be difficult.” I roll my eyes, “Oh pfft. They’re nothing compared to you guys.” We hear Cana shout from aboard the ship, “I HEARD THAT CANDY!!” I laugh loudly at her outburst, “SORRY CANA!” I shout up at her. She smirks at me and goes back to whatever she was doing. I hug Bickslow as well and he ruffles my hair. “Don’t cause too much trouble, munchkin.” I smile up at him and fix my hair, “I’ll try. No promises.” He laughs at my words and once Rosie is also done hugging them all they board the ship and it takes off. Rosie and I stand there at the dock, watching the ship until we can’t see it anymore. Then, we turn around and head off excitedly to our travels. We stop by the guild hall on the way there, and Lily goes to say goodbye to Rosie. “Hey, Rosie. Good luck on your travels. Carla and I are headed to Tenrou Island, where the trials are being held.” Rosie and I look at Lily and Carla in confusion. “Why? Just want to watch the competition or…?” I ask them. Carla just says calmly, “I just don’t want Wendy to get into trouble while I’m here resting. And Lily doesn’t trust this Mest guy any more than I do.” I nod in agreement with them, I tell them to be careful and Rosie hugs Lily, ADORABLE!! They’re so cute!!!!! UGHHH!!! Then, Max and Warren give us some good luck hugs, and we’re gone. Off into the unknown. (Lol, love that song)

-----------Time-Skip-----------

It’s been one week and four days, and Rosie and I are just now entering Magnolia again. We decided to return home early to surprise the Legion when they got back. We walk up to the guild hall and walk in, surprising everyone. “Hey Candy! Rosie! You guys are back early!” Max says in surprise. We smile and say, “Wanted to surprise you! Did it work?” Warren shakes his head no, “I heard you coming. Gotta try better than that.” I roll my eyes and Rosie speaks up, “It doesn’t count for you because you have telepathy!” He smiles and I drop my bag next to me on the table, and I’m about to sit down when there’s a knock at the guild doors. We all look at each other in confusion. People don’t just knock on the door. They usually bust right in. I walk over and open the doors since I’m closest and see the Magic Council Army right there, a man with his black hair in a bun and glasses stands there, and Mest stands behind him, looking like shit and guilty as hell. “Hi! Can we help you?” The man with glasses looks down sadly and says, “There’s been an incident. May we come in?” I step aside and glasses and Mest walk in. Everyone else in the guild waits for them to explain what they mean by incident. Glasses continues, “I’m afraid we have some terrible news. A dragon by the name of Acnologia attacked Tenrou Island while your guildmates were still on it. And I’m afraid we weren’t able to save any of them.” My face pales and I suddenly can’t breathe. Max then stutters, “What?! But they’re just injured right?! I mean….they’re still alive.” The man just looks to the ground. “I’m sorry.” Then Macao speaks up, “Not one?! None of them were saved?! There were 17 people there! You didn’t save a single one of them?! We need to go there now!!” Macao tries to leave but Mest teleports in front of him, his eyes still looking at the ground as he roughly grabs his shoulder, stopping him. “You can’t. I’m sorry.” Wakaba then shouts, “Why the hell can’t he?! Why can’t we go find our guildmates?! Our guildmaster!!” Glasses speaks up, “There isn’t an island left. It’s completely gone. You won’t find anyone, I’m sorry.” Those words sink in deeper than ever, I look up at glasses and quietly say, “Why the hell is Mest with you while the rest of our guildmates have been obliterated?” He looks at me guiltily and Mest looks down at the ground. “Because I’m not Mest. My name is Doranbolt. I was undercover, spying for the Magic Council to make sure your guild didn’t cause any more waves of trouble.” I glare at him, disgusted. “So…..you’re telling me that you sat safely with the Magic Council while you watched a dragon kill our guildmates? Our family? You just…..sat there……drinking your fancy tea……..and watched?” He looks down at the ground, tears in his eyes, “I’m so sorry. I wanted to go back to help them but it would’ve been pointless. There’s no escaping a dragon’s roar. Especially not Acnologia’s. He’s a mindless monster, who just wants to kill.” The air around me starts to grow cold as I grow angrier with him. The others in the guildhall stand there, horrified. Some are crying and shaking. Some are just standing there, broken. I grab his shirt and shout at him, “MY FAMILY IS ON THAT ISLAND!! EVERYONE!! FREED, EVERGREEN, BICKSLOW!!! MAYBE EVEN LAXUS!! I CAN’T-” The thought of what I just said sinks in and I let go of his shirt. Suddenly, I black out as tears fall down my face, and I can’t remember what happened after that.