The one in trouble

Start from the beginning

A comfortable silence.

"You promised me something," Matthew finally said,

"What?" I kept my face on his chest as I looked up at him, my cheek squished but I wanted to stay like that.

" I talked about my scars, now tell me how you got yours."

OH

***

(A few years back)

I was still learning how to blend in and not get caught when I was out getting scoops for NLN. I had heard about a veteran actor being a jerk to rookie actors and he was working in City D for a new movie.

It was a perfect opportunity to get something, especially because reports are allowed to get a few shots of the actors while filming, so it was no problem getting inside the set.

I was nervous while slipping away after getting the basic shoots but I had to do that because I wanted to prove I was useful.

Taking advantage of the commotion on the set caused by an actor slipping and falling, I slipped away, pretending I was going to the bathroom. But I kept my eye out and the moment I saw no one was looking, I slipped backstage.

I hid my camera in my backpack but I was ready to fish it out at any moment needed. I went around the place. Rosa had told me the fights always happen in the actor only lounge where only a handful of staff is allowed but her sense of direction is pretty bad.

So even though she told me where the lounge is, I doubt she told it to me correctly.

Nonetheless I went on my way, I knew I had to figure it out myself and I was quite excited as well.

But that excitement didn't last long.

I rounded a dimly lit corner which made me think I was going the wrong way, but my path intersected with a familiar face from the past that made me completely forget what I was doing there.

I saw Murim, walking in my direction, only a few steps away from me, whose presence invoked memories of torment and humiliation.

The moment he saw me, he stopped. He stood there, surrounded by a new cadre of followers, their postures exuding arrogance and entitlement. It was just like in High School, people loved to follow him but he didn't really care about any one of them.

The air thickened with tension as our eyes met, and an annoyed smirk played on his lips, "What the hell are you doing here!?" His voice was harsh and I gulped.

The encounter sparked a clash of emotions within me — the instinctive recoil from past scars made me freeze for a moment but I steadied myself fast.

I have to leave!!

I immediately turned around without saying a word to make a run for it when he grabbed the back of my shirt out of the blue.

"Where do you think you're going after showing your ugly self in front of me?" My heart dropped. The air thickened with an uncomfortable tension as the backstage drama took an unforeseen turn, "Thought you could just walk away, huh?" Murim's words dripped with a venomous arrogance, his eyes glinting with a twisted satisfaction as he dragged me with him.

"What are you doing?" I asked in fear,

"You two at the back," Murim ignored me, "Come with me, the rest can leave."

"Stop!" I tried to get away, "Let me go," But I couldn't get away

The secluded space he led me to was devoid of the background hum of the backstage frenzy but it was only a turn away from where we met. That only confirmed that I was going in the wrong direction.

Muffled sounds of distant conversations became a backdrop to the unfolding confrontation. The air felt charged with an uncomfortable intensity as my instincts went on high alert.

He shoved me against a nondescript door, the cold surface pressing into my back, a surge of adrenaline mixed with a deep-seated sense of unease as he pressed my shoulders against the door.

"Everytime I see your face, I get this weird ick," He made a disgusted face, "It gets me all riled up and angry."

Well, then don't look at me! Just turn your face and go away!!!

I couldn't say that out loud, I did not have the nerve to.

Murim stared at me for a moment, then stepped back, letting me stumble and gain my balance to remain standing as he walked away, "Get him," He told the only two minions who followed us.

"What do you want to do?" One of them asked as Murim went and sat down on a throne. It was most likely a stage prop.

"Whichever one of you manages to hurt him first, gets my favor." He answered, then threw a knife to the ground.

Dread loomed over me as the minions looked at each other. They didn't waste any time as they fought to grab the knife while I frantically looked around to find an escape.

I was still shooting my head around when a sudden crucifying pressure pooled in my lower abdomen.

....

I looked down and noticed one of the minions had plunged the knife in me.

At that moment, everything failed to make sense and my mind went blank. Murim sat on his throne with a satisfied smirk on his face while the minion raised his head to look up at me, "No hard feelings," He whispered as he held the knife with both hands, "I need his sponsorship."