Chase

>>Clio

The music filled the air as I navigated through the crowded party, trying to blend in while remaining discreet in my undercover mission. My heart raced with anticipation, I was worried, I kept glancing over my back to see if Matthew was in sight or not.

It scared the shit out of me when he saw me and started moving. But I guess I was just being paranoid. I don't see him anywhere now. I gulped, but I need to be more careful. I'm here to discover some suspicious activities involving my temporary boss, and I need evidence to uncover the truth, and all of it will go in vain if I get caught.

Not that I should get caught. I'm a completely different person right now but I can't shake this feeling off that Matthew still might catch me. There's just something about him that scares me. I don't know what exactly it is, but there definitely is something.

I moved around the place, there were a number of people I recognized there. Starting from celebrities and ranging to the elite-class company owners. Just what kind of party is this? There are many high-class people here and clearly, it isn't a normal party because otherwise reporters are invited to take pictures and write articles. And, I don't see a single person with a camera here.

I'm a little confused though, this is the first time I've gone undercover so I'm nervous. I usually do stakeouts and a bit of stalking. This is my first undercover, I wonder if I chose the right disguise...

I had my phone in my hand that was connected to the camera I was wearing. I was able to take some pictures of some celebrities making out with some unexpected people. I didn't have to raise my phone to get the pictures, I just had to press the volume buttons together for the camera I had around my neck to snap the shots. I was here for my boss but I'm scared to follow him. I've gotten a bunch of other pictures so I hope Nolan won't get mad at me. Something about Matthew makes my heart act strange.

I went around the party hall, scooping around all floors, taking pictures of anything that could be remotely interesting but as I discreetly made my way through the venue on the first floor, I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

!!!!

That's when I caught glimpses of Matthew out of the corner of my eye, his intense gaze fixed on me as if he suspected my true intentions. My heart skipped a beat, and a surge of adrenaline coursed through my veins.

What!?!? I was sure I was moving away from him!? So how does he have his eyes on me again!??! I needed to remain focused and stay hidden. But why is it, I keep finding him and meeting his eyes?

How?! With the way he keeps finding me, I don't think I could find anything on him even if I wanted to. And is it just me or does it look like he's following me on purpose? I mean, I was sure I was moving away from him, so why is he still coming in my direction?

With each step, the tension mounted, and I knew I had to be careful not to draw attention to myself. My senses were on high alert, scanning the room for any signs of danger or potential threats. I skillfully weaved through the dancing crowd again, blending in as just another partygoer while keeping a close eye on Matthew's movements while he looked around trying to find me.

I caught sight of him many times, darting his eyes around, looking for someone.

My heart was pounding, at this point, I was pretty sure he was looking for me and I wasn't delusional but I couldn't understand why.

Why would he look for someone he's never met in his life!?!? I mean, this version of me doesn't even exist.

The music escalated, and the crowd's excitement seemed to intensify, that's when his eyes got locked on me and I knew I had to run away faster. The loud music was the perfect distraction, and I took advantage of the moment to slip into a more secluded area as the people partied harder, hoping to find something more interesting out of Matthew's way.

But even then I felt a sudden rush of panic. I turned to find Matthew approaching, a determined look in his eyes. My heart pounded in my chest as I realized he might have caught on to something.

OH GOD! Did he realize it's actually me? Did he see through the disguise?!? But how!!?

Without hesitation, I made a split-second decision and darted away, my instincts guiding me through the labyrinth of partygoers. The chase was on, and I knew I had to stay ahead of Matthew to keep my cover intact and make a run for it.

Shit! Shit! It wasn't making any sense. I barely got to take any pictures here and now I'm running away.

My mind raced with confused thoughts. What is happening? Why is he coming after me? Does he really suspect something? He shouldn't be able to recognize me. I can't even recognize myself!!

The pulsating music became a soundtrack to our chase, adding an element of urgency to the pursuit. I wove through the crowd, using every opportunity to change direction and keep Matthew guessing but that didn't make him stop though. He kept looking for my signs and continued to chase after me.

Thankfully though, the dim lighting and constant movement around us added to the chaos, making it easier to evade his pursuit.

As we darted through the party, my mind raced, trying to outmaneuver Matthew while keeping my focus on the task at hand. I knew I couldn't afford to make any mistakes, as the consequences of being caught could jeopardize the entire mission. If he actually catches me, I would be exposed, and he's going to suspect why I even came to work at his company! He's definitely going to fire me!!

SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!!!

I feel so nervous! I feel like I'm missing something! But I don't even have the time to stop and think about it! I sped up, got to the balcony of the second floor from there one could see the entire view on the first floor, and turned the corner that would take me away from the party hall but right as I turned the corner that led to the bathrooms, I bumped into someone.

It was a man, he fell down the moment he collided with me and the impact was rough enough that I stumbled back as well but I collided with the wall, managing to stay standing.

"Hey!" I heard voices from behind him, "He went that way!" I looked at the man who got himself up and noticed that his head was bleeding.

Oh shit! Instinctively, I knew he was trouble but then he looked at me.

!!!

Our eyes met and a sense of doom loomed over me. OH NO... A stream of blood trickled down the side of his head, dying his head and neck red. I only had to glance at him once to know he was onto something bad as well.

He stood up and stepped towards me, I tried to step away but I was already cornered with the wall to my back while he moved fast and came and fell on me, almost as if he was losing consciousness.

"Take this," He whispered next to my ear, "Take it to the press." Some of his blood got on my clothes as he moved away, subtly handing me something and then running off.

"There!!" Three bodyguards in black noticed him, "After him!!!" They all ran past me as I stood there in fear, frozen still. What the hell!?!? What the hell!?!? What did he just give me!!? I had the thing clasped in my hand, hidden behind my back as I was ignored and ran past by. I watched them disappear into the crowd, making a commotion as they went along and even creating a gap that was larger on the first-floor center.

The people yelled and got disturbed when the injured man tried to run past them. He probably wasn't in his right mind either but as the crowd dissipated, I caught sight of my boss again from the second floor narrow balcony. He had his eyes on the man who was making a run for it while he too was on the lower floor, but then he raised his head, almost as of he smelled the air, and then shot his head straight at me

!!!

Our eyes met once more.

How the fuck!?!??!