Secrets

>>Clio

Mate?

Matthew's Australian? I never knew... He said, my mate. Does that mean he thinks of me as a friend? Really? Why would a boss think of an intern as a friend?

A frown appeared on my forehead.

Wait,

Did he come here for me? Really? But why? Wait, how does he know Zhou-Lin and to come here? There is a connection between them. Matthew came for me even when I was at the club,

But he didn't know it was me then... He just knew it was the girl who stole the files. But Zhou-Lin attacked me because of Matthew...

I turned my head to look at the Chinese man.

What is going on here?

Zhou-Lin seems to have an obsession with Matthew... But why? He said he likes things that aren't normal. I looked back at my boss. Is there something about Matthew that is strange? Something not everyone knows?

"I didn't do anything though," Zhou-Lin shrugged,

"Why did you take him?"

"Him?" He frowned, then looked at me, "I only took 'him' to save 'him' from the people." He folded his arms, "You must have seen them in the apartment."

"There is no need for a neighbor to attack a neighbor," Matthew's words made me go stiff, "What did you do there?" His voice was threatening.

Zhou-Lin laughed in response, "I arrived at the very end." He wasn't intimated at all, "But it seems you have no idea what's going on in your mate's life."

Matthew's eye twisted at that.

"What are you trying to imply?" The boss asked and I started getting anxious. Zhou-Lin knows a very deep secret of mine. Will he spill it? Will he expose me?

Oh! God!

Should I have kept my mouth shut? But if I had, something worse would have happened. Besides, he already got the gist of it since he overheard Kagan and Dani talking.

I kept my eyes on him and he noticed that, "Don't worry," He seemed to be having fun, "I'll keep your secret." He waved at us, "For now,"

I gulped.

"Secret?" Matthew didn't like the sound of that, "What?" He looked at me, "What happened between you two?"

"Matthew," Zhou-Lin shook his head in denial, "It's a secret for a reason. The third person isn't supposed to know"

"Clio," Matthew paid no attention to the other male, "That man is dangerous." He supported me nicely on his arm, where I half sat, "What did the two of you talk about?" He looked like he was genuinely worried but I couldn't tell him

"Just," I wasn't sure what to say, but Matthew was right. Zhou-Lin was a dangerous man and I feel like that's all the more reason for me to not tell him anything. And I definitely can't tell him I'm a woman...

The more people know, the more the chances of me getting exposed... I just need a little more time. Then I can leave this country with my mother and be myself.

"Clio," Matthew looked into my eyes, "Believe me, I won't let any harm come to you." His dark eyes seemed to clear for some reason, "Don't be afraid to talk to me. I can protect you."

My heart ached at his words.

Protect...

As if... So far, Nolan couldn't do anything either and now I've ended up on bad terms with him too. I'm pretty much doomed if I'm exposed. All these years and they're still after me.

I can't believe how obsessive some people can be. I was stabbed too because of that. I'm already afraid that Zhou-Lin knows, and I'm praying to God he doesn't expose me.

Just how bad is my luck?

"Matthew," Zhou-Lin diverted Matthew's attention, "How do you plan on leaving?"

The boss's eye twitched, "Like the way I came here,"

Zhou-Lin smirked, "No one stopped you from coming here Matt, but they won't let you go." He paused, "Unless, you plan on shifting."

Matthew was startled, "Keep your mouth shut!" He growled again, "You've already gotten on my nerves by kidnapping Clio."

Is it just me or does my boss make very realistic animal noises?

And shifting?

Shifting where? What's that even supposed to mean?

"You'll do something in front of 'him'?" He pointed at me and I flinched. He's focusing so much on the word him, it's making me nervous! This vile man! He's definitely dangerous!!

Matthew held me even closer and I felt a little calmer due to his action.

Is he being protective over me?

Why?

Come to think of it, he keeps doing odd things for me...

"What do you want, Zhou-Lin?" Matthew gritted his teeth.

"Hmmm?" He pretended to ponder over it, "What do I want? Hmmm..." Damn, he's got the skills to get on anyone's nerves, "I already got what I wanted." He smirked

"Then don't get in my way." Matthew glared at him,

"I'll let you go," Zhou-Lin stepped back, "I just have a question for you."

"What?"

"Do you really not have the Deed?"

Deed? What Deed? My reporter instincts woke up.

If a member of the Chinese mafia is asking for a deed, I'm sure it's got something to do with something big.

But why ask Matthew for it? Why would he have it?

Matthew closed his eyes in annoyance, "What even made you think I would have it?"

"Just curious," He shrugged, "Yes or no,"

The Boss glared at him, "No,"

Zhou-Lin stared at him for a moment, as if trying to read him for any lies, "Fine," He looked out the window, "You can leave."

Matthew didn't waste any time and turned around to walk out of the place but the whole interaction left me confused and feeling sort of sick.

I've been running away from certain things in my life and since I came back to City A, I feel like they're coming back to haunt me.

This isn't good.

I need to leave. I came to City A as a spy anyway, I can leave now, can't I?

I was relying on Nolan before, but now that's out of the picture. I should start preparing to leave the country on my own.

***

>>Zhou-Lin

Murim...

I looked out at the night city with my arms folded. I was recalling the conversation I had with Clio and something bothered me. I know she lied about something, most likely about why she's still pretending to be a guy.

And then there's this fact that someone killed her brother. Men in black?

Hmmm

And Murim?

Why does that name sound familiar?