The one in trouble

>>Clio

I ran into Matthew's office without a second thought.

My face was pale and I was shaking.

The moment I burst in, Lily came running after me to stop me from running into the CEO's office but Matthew stopped her right away by raising his hand.

"Sir?" Lily was confused.

"It's fine," Matthew answered, "You can leave and don't let anyone else come in." He walked towards me while I stood with my eyes wide open in the open space.

"Yes..." Lily bowed and left as the CEO walked from his desk towards me. Lily went out slowly, and I'm sure before she closed the door she saw how Matthew came over and pulled me into a hug.

"Matthew..."

"It's alright," His embrace was warm, "Nothing bad will happen. City D is far from here and the police are already looking for Chris."

"I sure do hope so," I already have enough problems at hand then this goes and happens. I got lost in thoughts as I kept thinking about my problems while Matthew was watching me.

He let out a sigh and then out of the blue picked me up from the floor.

!!!

"Sir?!" He bridal carried me

"Matthew," He corrected me as he carried me to his seat behind the desk, the world seemed to quiet down a little as all my attention was stolen by him.

He settled into the chair, and with a tenderness that touched my heart, he sat me down on his lap which made me feel a little embarrassed and my ears heated up. His strong arms wrapped around me, creating a cocoon of warmth.

"Um," I started,

"If I have to," He spoke first, "I'll catch her again myself." His voice was firm as he murmured words of reassurance. "It's okay," He said, " I've said it many times. But I'll say it again." I looked at him with him being the only thing in my view and it felt like he was sparkling, "I will protect you. You're safe here." I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine, "With me,"

I looked away feeling shy.

Sitting so close to him, the scent of his cologne enveloped me, I never noticed it before but his scent was similar to the scent of fresh printed books. And as I focused on that the storm of emotions inside of me began to settle. It was as if his presence had cast a protective spell, shielding me from the uncertainties that had rattled my world.

A few moments passed with me in his embrace and I felt better. It made me ease up so much I ended up putting my head on his chest where I heard his heartbeat.

While mine seemed to be having trouble beating like normal, his heart was calm, his beats strong.

"Feeling better?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yes," I whispered, "It's almost like magic." I managed to put on a soft smile, "Your presence is soothing."

"In a way," His voice was soft, I noticed that it's a tone he only uses with me, "You can say it's magic." I looked up at him and raised my brows to indicate I was asking him what he meant, "It's because of the mate bond," He replied.

"Are you saying I feel calmer with you because we're soulmates?"

"Yes," My heart skipped a beat and I looked down as I pursed my lips.

His reply made me further sink into his broad chest and if possible I didn't want to leave for as long as possible. Peace engulfed us and for a few minutes there was only silence