Voice

>>Clio

"Hello," I greeted my colleagues who were watching the morning news in the office and I joined them.

"You have dark circles under your eyes," Imani pointed out.

"Yes," I sat down in my chair, "I didn't sleep well," The case of the Head Hunter was on and the video of the man dressed in all black was playing.

"The police suspect that the killer originally planned to put the head of Rameen in the victim's house, as you can see from the video, he is walking from the direction that leads to the victim's house, but later the Head Hunter decided to make a more public show of his kill and went to the victim's mother's office and placed it there."

My heart sank as I recalled the whole thing, and to think he wanted to place the head in Chris's house.

I shook my head.

God...

Why would he be so cruel about it?

"Okay," Bizy turned the TV off, "Time to get to work." He clapped his hands, "Open your laptops." Everyone began to settle down with their hearts heavy when I got a text.

I took out my phone and lightened up the screen.

It was a text from Lily,

'Dave and I have been called in for questioning again, please give the boss his coffee today as well."

I stared at the text

Again? Why were they called in for questioning? Did they lie about something?

But other than that, I have to make Matthew's coffee again?

I felt funny thinking about going to Matthew's office and facing him. After what happened last night, I don't think I can face him head-on.

....

I pursed my lips shyly, but still got up to make his coffee.

I wonder,

How serious was he when he said he'd protect me?

I walked into the small office kitchen and began doing the work.

One thing that's bothering me, he was confident he could handle Zhou-Lin. That means he was confident about handling the Chinese mafia.

As I worked, I pondered on the whole thing.

Nolan was confident that Matthew has dark stuff behind him too. And Detective Harou was happy to take him to jail...

I stirred in the coffee mug.

Just because the boss is nice to me, doesn't mean he isn't hiding anything bad, right? But maybe it's not the kind of bad that I'm worried about...

I chewed my lower lip as my heart felt weird.

All the things I've encountered so far points to Matthew and Azef being involved with the mafia...

I stopped stirring the coffee and stared at it.

I don't really know what to think about that...

***

I knocked on the boss's door

"Come in," Hearing his voice made my heart flip but I composed myself and opened the door.

"I brought your coffee," I said softly and looked around. He wasn't at his desk. Instead, he was standing by the shelf near the couches, looking at some book. But the moment I entered the room, he noticed and turned to look at me