Hospital

>>Matthew

"Yes," I replied, "I saw the video," I took another sip from the coffee, "What are you planning Harou?" I only called him because I had an inkling that it was his doing. Who else would get the CCTV that the police took other than the police itself?

"A number of things," He replied, "Just wait and see,"

"Oh! I'm waiting,"

"And you'll see,"

"Bold move though," I smirked, "What if the killer comes after you after seeing the video?"

"Even better," He replied, "In fact, that is exactly what he should do."

I nodded, "Hmmm,"

"I'm going to be done soon, with the questioning, and with the body found as well. I need to talk to you."

"The office is always open," I replied,

"I wonder how long it'll remain open." He snickered.

"Even with what you pulled Harou, my standing is quite strong." I put the cup down on the tea plate, "You won't be able to close down my company with petty tricks."

"I didn't pull anything, all of this is what came to me on its own." He clicked his tongue, "Just like how I'll get the proof of your underground activities one day."

I smirked, "You've been trying for a few years now," I chuckled, "So far, you've only failed."

"Every dark tunnel has a light at the end."

"Not if the tunnel is a dead end." I answered and there was a pause, "Keep working hard, Harou, you'll get somewhere." I let out a soft chuckle, then disconnected the call.

***

>>Clio

Much of the day passed by uneventfully but during the last hour of office hours I got a call from the hospital my mom was in.

"Hello?" I answered it immediately, I never miss a call from the hospital.

"Hello, Clio Payne speaking?"

"Yes,"

"I'm calling you from Hospital D, your mother is in serious condition."

"What!?" I stood up from my chair in response, a jolt of fear coursing through my veins.

"It would be better to come visit her," The voice on the other end was calm and measured, but the words they spoke struck like a thunderbolt, shattering the fragile calm of the moment.

My heart pounded in my chest. Fear gripped me like a vice, rendering me momentarily speechless.

"O-okay!" I managed to say, "I'll be there as soon as I can," The very thought of her in danger, of her suffering, sent waves of panic washing over me. She was the anchor of my world, my last living family, and the sole bearer of all my secrets.

The fear was not just for her but also for myself, for the void that her absence would leave in my life.

As I hung up the phone, my hands trembled, and tears welled in my eyes and I looked at the time.

It wasn't time to leave yet, but I'm gonna risk it all and go anyway.

I grabbed my bag and dashed out of the place

***

The ride to the hospital was a blur of emotions and anxious anticipation. My heart raced with a mixture of fear, hope, and a gnawing sense of helplessness. The uncertainty of the situation weighed heavily on me. I couldn't shake the feeling of impending dread.