Keeping up a-fear-ances (Chapter 28)

The scene opens in total darkness. It was quiet for a bit until a voice was heard.

???: It always starts the same way.

A young girl lets out a loud gasp and sits up panting heavily. This young girl was Eda Clawthorne, also known as the owl lady. This was back when she had her orange hair. The girl looked around the dark void.

Young Eda: I wake up someplace dark.

The young Eda slowly stands up and looks around with a frightened expression. Suddenly a shadow flashes past behind her. She turned around to look at it but it was gone. This sends the poor girl into another state of panic.

Young Eda: *Narrating.* And then it appears.

A loud stomp was heard getting young Eda's attention. She turns around and sees what "it" was. It was a robust, quadrupedal creature with an owl-like appearance. It has a thick coat of dirty gray down feathers, large wings, bird-like legs, and long tail feathers. Its head resembles that of a barn owl's, featuring a heart-shaped white face with hollow black eyes and a small beak.This was the Owl Beast. The beast stretches its neck towards Eda, stops in front of her, and screeches. Eda cries out in surprise, then turns around and runs away, panting and crying.

Young Eda: And eventually...

The scene changes to young Eda looking down with a sad and scared expression.

Young Eda: I wake up and I know I turned into... that thing.

Once she was done she looked up to the people she was talking to. The first person was a tanned person with a healer coven sign wrapped around his right arm, showing he was part of the healing coven. The other person was a woman, her hair was reddish-brown with a lighter-colored front and sides. Her dimples were unnoticeable at the time and her cheeks were not as lowered; thus, her jawline more closely resembled Eda's' triangular shape. This was Eda's mother Gwendolyn Clawthrone

Still frightened by her story Eda squeezes her hands together scared. Until she felt someone hand on top of hers. She looked over and saw it was her boyfriend, Igneel Dragneel. He was wearing his orange hexside uniform and had the same red bangs with red eyes. The only difference is he had a scar coming down from his right eye that reached his cheek. Eda smiled and blushed a little from the gesture as she put one of her hands on top of his.

Healer: I see. Here, take this.

The healer pulls out a large orange stone and hands it to Eda. This stone was the same stone that the adult Eda wears.

Igneel: *looks at it curious* What is it?

Healer: It will tell you when the beast's energy is bubbling to the surface. Also, I hear gems are quite fashionable for young witches.

Igneel: *glares at the Healer* Seriously?

The Healer sweated and chuckled nervously from the dragon boys glare. Eda giggled from her boyfriend's reaction. He always has a tendency to get a little upset when someone gives poor advice

Gwendolyn: Oh, what a beautiful little stone. *looks at the Healer and Igneel* May I speak with you two outside?

Igneel looked at Gwendolyn and then at Eda. Eda thought about it for a second and nodded her head saying she'll be ok. Igneel nodded back and got up from the bed. The three start to head outside to talk, but Gwendolyn says something to Eda before she leaves.

Gwendolyn: Just a minute, hon.

The mother Clawthorne closes the door, leaving a little crack. Eda looked down at the gemstone wondering to herself if it would ever help. Just then she started to overhear their conversation Outside the room. Curious, the young Eda gets up and eavesdrops on their conversation behind the door.