Ch.63

"Oh, the hero of Sevran. Welcome, Count Arno."

Despite the once handsome king's hospitality, Zachary remained silent. Seeing that he was neither friendly nor flattering, the king was pleased, saying that a warrior should have that kind of atmosphere.

Bianca, who was behind Zachary, also bowed to the king. As soon as she did, the king's eyes shifted from Zachary and focused on Bianca. The blue eyes surrounded by wrinkled skin gleamed with coldness.

"That's new. You brought your wife."

Bianca smiled slightly and nodded awkwardly. A graceful profile and a relaxed, elegant demeanor. But lurking within her was the anxiety that she might make a mistake. Bianca said softly, her lashes slightly lowered.

"It is an honor to meet you, Your Majesty."

"When I heard that the Count was engaged to the Blanchefort family, this old man asked to see the Countess, but he refused. Show her now. Is it your last consideration before my death?"

The king's gaze upon Bianca was filled with favor. As much as he thought of Prince Gautier as his successor, the king was delighted with the Blanchefort family, who supported Prince Gautier. When Zachary, who was emerging as a hero, married Bianca, the king felt as happy as if a member of the royal family had married.

Contrary to the king's excited attitude, Zachary, who had always maintained his indifferent demeanor, responded bluntly.

"My wife's body is weak, so she has been recovering at the estate. And Your Majesty is perfectly fine. Please do not joke like that."

"She does indeed look weak... health is the most important thing..."

The king murmured to himself and sank deeply into the throne. It was unclear whether he was speaking to Bianca or to himself.

Bianca, burdened by the king's favor, closed her mouth even tighter.

What could the king like about a young woman he had just met? Favor for Zachary, or favor for the ancestral Blanchefort family. One of the two.

Bianca knew she wasn't particularly attractive or pleasant. If she opens her mouth, she will only undermine the affection she has built for others. She preferred to be considered shy. She chose silence and smiled awkwardly. It was a forced smile because she had to keep her mouth shut, as it was a king, and she shouldn't give the impression that she didn't like him.

Meanwhile, Bianca felt a persistent gaze on her. That gaze was so deep that it prickled her skin. Sweat ran down Bianca's back, instinctively feeling where that gaze was coming from. She doesn't know why "he" is looking at her so intently, but if she pretends not to know, it will pass smoothly...

But Bianca's thoughts were shattered in vain. Because the king spoke to her.

"By the way, this is the Countess's first time seeing my sons. This is my eldest son, Prince Gautier, and on the left is my second son, Prince Jacob."

"...Nice to meet you."

Obliged to introduce herself, Bianca had no choice but to greet the princes. The reasoning that Bianca distinguished the princes by the atmosphere emanating from their outward appearance was correct. Prince Gautier, who had a gentle impression and seemed to enjoy poetry and playing the lute, smiled at his vassal's wife, Bianca. Since Bianca was nothing more than a stepping stone between Arno and the Blanchefort family, there would be no reason for Prince Gautier not to treat her kindly.

"Prince Jacob, on the other hand..."

As soon as her eyes met Jacob's, she got goosebumps. Jacob, who inherited the blood of the Sevran family, was handsome with shiny blonde hair, but the threatening atmosphere surrounding him made her forget his appearance. Bianca's face hardened at the warning that sounded like a scream running down her spine.