Ch.50

The land of Arno was neither large nor close to the capital. It had no mineral veins, nor was it a convenient place for trade and transportation, but the land was fertile and abundant, making it a lordship that would not go hungry. It was a land that wasn't attractive enough to fight over its possession, yet everyone coveted it.

It was the territory that Zachary gained at the same time he was given the title of baron for his military service.

Zachary's efforts to acquire land and titles were indescribable, but Zachary was not satisfied with it. Now that he had become a count, the income obtained from the estate was sufficient, and although everyone praised Zachary for his military achievements, it still seemed insufficient to him.

When his father suddenly died at the age of fifteen, and his older brother Roland threw him out and forced him to become a knight, Zachary had no idea he would become so greedy.

"... I can feel the vicissitudes."

A few lights flickered at the end of the wide horizon where darkness fell. Zachary looked at the territorial expanse through the window and recalled the past.

Roland and Zachary were not very good brothers. The first Viscountess Huegh, who was Roland's mother, died giving birth to Roland, and the second wife was Zachary's mother. Like Bianca's mother, she died of postpartum fever after giving birth, so it was not uncommon for mothers to die during this period.

However, Roland was jealous of Zachary, who was cared for by his mother, even for a brief period. He used to openly say that he would expel Zachary as soon as he came to power in Huegh, and he did.

Becoming a knight is expensive, but it must have been because he wanted Zachary to die in war that he paid for expensive equipment instead of sending him to a monastery.

At that moment, Zachary took up the sword so as not to die. Because he knew there was no one to take care of him if he sat and cried.

Zachary, desperate to survive, raised his sword without hesitation. As it was a situation where he had to preserve his life, he didn't even care about success.

Fortunately, Zachary had a knack for war. With eyes to coolly read the war without getting caught up in the death of his opponent, he knew, understood, and accepted that he had chosen to kill his opponent in order not to die. He stubbornly pushed his way forward without retreating.

As a result, Zachary's unstoppable background and martial arts made him a baron, and in the end, he became a count. Count of Arno! How well it sounds!

Zachary, who achieved success on his own, was an idol and hope for noble men who couldn't carry on their families. And a young and handsome husband candidate. Zachary's life seemed to have nothing to envy in the world.

But his life was not as happy as it was thought. It was the sharp sword that placed him as a count, so he had to constantly go to war to maintain that position. Moreover, what Zachary wanted was a better and more prosperous future than the current one. Unsatisfied with the status quo, he rushed off to the battlefield, unable to afford to enjoy happiness. It was not an exaggeration to say that the battlefield was Zachary's territory.

Zachary felt so inadequate, not out of a desire for fame or to earn a higher tax collection. It wasn't because of his desire for revenge against his older brother, Viscount Huegh, who brutally threw him out.

Bianca, the young and beautiful wife who remained on the estate! It was for her.

"In comparison to the Blanchefort family, there is still a long way to go..."

Although the title of count is the same, the Blanchefort family, which has been in power for a long time as a noble family, and the new Arno family were not necessarily "the same."