Ch.37

The green eyes that shone beneath the long eyelashes, as if sunlight had entered, gleamed with a golden light.

On a warm spring day, is this how dew collected by fairies looks?

Nicholas, who had thought Bianca's pale green eyes were snake-like just a moment ago, looked at Bianca in incomprehension.

Bianca, who had been looking at the candle, looked at Nicholas. Nicholas's heart pounded as soon as their eyes met. Nicholas bumped his head against the floor. He felt suffocated for a moment, and even making eye contact was difficult.

Previous fears and other unknown pressures weighed on Nicholas's shoulders. What is this? Nicholas took a deep breath as his toes curled and he felt restless.

Contrary to Nicholas's nervousness, Bianca was calm. Twirling the candle back and forth, she asked in a soft voice.

"It's beautiful. Very pleasing to the eye. How many of these can you make?"

"I can make any number of candles."

Nicholas stammered in response.

As he answered, his head grew numb. He couldn't understand why Bianca was asking that question. People always hated when he played with candles. No way, Madam... Does she accept him carving candles? Does she understand? The suffocating breath was choked off at the back of his throat.

Nicholas rolled his big eyes, trying to understand the situation. The small pupils in the big eyes trembled rapidly, as did the tiny freckles placed on the bridge of his nose. Nicholas instinctively noticed that things weren't going badly for him. Nicholas, who could afford to at that moment, carefully looked at Bianca once again.

At that moment, she seemed like a witch as she trembled in fear with every move, but seeing her now again, she was pleasant and smelled nice. She emanated a gentle warmth, like evergreen leaves glistening in the sun. Nicholas's face flushed.

Bianca, who had no idea about Nicholas's thoughts and had no intention of knowing, smiled happily. Worried about her own thoughts, she calmly said something that surprised everyone.

"It would be nice to have a candle like this for my room."

"What?"

The supervisor asked stupidly. He seemed confused, as if he had no idea what Bianca was talking about. Vincent, who quickly grasped the situation, hastily added.

"Madam, these candles don't burn well when they're carved. And unlike the candles used in Madam's room, this type of hardened resin..."

"You can have them carve a candle made of wax. Anyway, it's not like I'm going to use it everywhere, it's just for my room."

Bianca shrugged. Vincent's mouth widened as he casually talked about things others wouldn't even think of. Just a moment ago, he hinted at the meaning of a reprimand for using wax candles, but he didn't seem to care at all. He was far from listening to Vincent's words in the first place. The intention to be sarcastic reached his mouth.

"She needs to learn what she has to do as the hostess of the Arno family!"

Just a moment ago, he thought she was trying to understand the estate's financial situation and reduce consumption, so his heart, which had been somewhat proud, faded like a lie. He still couldn't decipher what her intentions were, but it would have been better for him if she had stayed in the castle quietly. To mock Vincent's thoughts, Bianca tilted her head with a sullen expression.

"If the Count didn't make a single comment, doesn't it mean I can use the candles as I please?"

"However..."