Ch.45

The servants stepped back, leaving Bianca and Zachary alone. Sweat dripped from Bianca's smooth chin.

Will the conversation be long enough to issue a dismissal order? Thinking about that, she felt a tingling sensation as if a thorn were piercing through her.

Bianca still felt uncomfortable around Zachary. Standing in front of his direct gaze felt like being prey. Perhaps it's because Zachary is watching her with an unusually sharp look, as if he's going to pierce through her cheeks.

There was no difference between him and the stuffed deer displayed in the hallway.

Fearing that negative thoughts would start to show on her face, Bianca asked cheerfully, as if trying to change the mood.

"What are you doing here? I thought you would be in the office."

"I was wondering if you were doing well. Since you've started paying attention to the castle's maintenance, I thought I'd take a look."

Bianca's face, which had struggled to smile, hardened at Zachary's following words. Although he was busy, it was obvious why he had to take the time to visit Bianca. So yes. A shadow fell over Bianca's face. A strange disappointment and frustration enveloped Bianca, even though she had never expected anything. Bianca asked gruffly.

"Did you come here because you were worried I might do something?"

"No."

Zachary startled to the point of jumping. The shadow on Bianca's face also cast onto his face. He hastily added as an excuse.

"I'm sure you'll do well."

Bianca blinked at the unexpected words and looked at Zachary. It was the first positive response Bianca received. Because every time she said she would do something, the people around her looked at her with suspicion, as if to see if Bianca could really do it or if she was plotting something.

Understanding her reaction, Zachary's face turned blue as if he were being strangled. No. That was Bianca's mistake. Zachary couldn't care less about her reaction. While Bianca was confused, Zachary returned to his original impassiveness.

"That doesn't mean it's not a burden."

Zachary's face was rigid, and his mouth was as dry as his expression. Zachary was the only one who knew that. Realizing that she was making mistakes with her own words, Zachary tried to pronounce each word cautiously. But every time he tried to be careful, his expression became more serious, and it didn't work very well.

"I feel like it's the first time you've done something for me..."

"Not for you. Of course, it's what I have to do."

Bianca smiled. "It's the first time I've done something for him," as if she had been negligent until now. Although it was true, Bianca's words, which felt as if Zachary's words were sarcastic, sharpened.

But perhaps it was too sharp.

Bianca, who belatedly realized her mistake, carefully observed Zachary's face.

He still had a stern look on his face.

Bianca sighed inwardly. Being Bianca, who usually acts as she pleases without paying attention to others, conversations with Zachary were never pleasant. Still, it was something she had to get used to.

"I am the hostess of Arno Castle. Since you don't want an heir from me, I wanted to be of help in some way."

As soon as Bianca's words fell, Zachary narrowed his eyes. After a moment of silence, he asked attentively.